May 30, 2015

Bee-u-ti-ful Day

Last weekend, after two and a half days of yard work and/or picnicking, I decided to put away the tools, clean myself up, sit back and enjoy the yard.    I even took my Lowery floor stand outside to stitch with.   Long about a half hour in, I decided to  refill my glass of nice cool green tea.


 I came back outside and saw nothing but BEES!  I had to walk around the far side of the house to get to the backyard and into Mr. W's man cave.   Of course, when I told him there were a billion bees outside he didn't believe me.  (why is it husband's have to doubt/question everything we say?) Well surprise Mr. W.!
 Those aren't dots on the film....they are bees!

Zooming in all the way from the side door.   Trust me, I wasn't getting too close!


Zoomed in from inside the house.


These guys were not here one second but were everywhere the next.  Holiday weekend or not, I called our pest control company and left a message.  They came by the next day and explained the phenomenon.  The verdict and our instructions:  Honey Bees. They won't bother us unless they feel the queen is threatened and if one strings us, they will all swarm us!   Seems they have some sort of bee radar to alert each other of danger.   Yikes!  Good ole Miss Queen Bee was desirous of moving the hive but grew tired along the way and decided to stop at our house to rest.  Below, you will see all the bees protecting the queen.





The tech told us to give it 24 to 36 hours and they will move on.  I wasn't actually buying it but sure enough, the next night after work, they were all gone.  Learn something new everyday.

Bee safe everyone and bee plentiful with your stitches this week.    Next up, progress has been made on Cornwall Cottage.....almost completed page two.   Pix as soon as I do.

17 comments:

  1. oh no so many bees..we also have one outside our house in a bush..i feel scared to go there..lol..
    happy stitching x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes!!!! That is crazy!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What fabulous pictures you captured of the swarm! I am glad they have moved on, but what a remarkable sight to see. Looking forward to seeing your progress on Cornwall Cottage! Enjoy your weekend!

    Robin in Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!!! I would have been VERY wary of being outside with all of those around! I'm glad they moved on quite quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that is a lot of bees!! I'm glad they moved on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another option would have been for them to chop down the branch they were stuck to, drop it in a hive box and TADA! Beehive! My pal and beekeepteacher does that out here in Cali. It's also possible that swarm came from a nearby beekeeper who is probably pissed that his hive swarmed :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That sure makes for an exciting weekend!! Good thing your bug man gave you such good advice. With bees in decline we can't spare any good ones! Laura

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, so many bees!
    It is the swarm, as the new Bee Family :-)))
    I'm not afraid bees :-)))
    My husband is a beekeeper, we have the house five families :-)))

    ReplyDelete
  9. How interesting! Especially when it happens in someone else's yard.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow!! Fantastic pictures!! Is this a sign you should be stitching one of the MANY "bee" themed designs that have come out in the last 12 months, LOL?

    PS ~ Your yard and outdoor stitching chair look devine!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW.... that is really amazing but also alittle scary also. You took some great pictures. I love how they all swarm around her and give her protection. Glad they have moved on and you can enjoy the backyard again :)

    Have a wonderful and bee free weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my, how fantastic! I love your post title!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The pics are AMAZING but wow... Scary! I am allergic so I would be in a ton of trouble.. But wow what an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think this is one of my favorite stitching blog posts ever. :D Nature is so amazing! (Also, I'm coveting your lovely outdoor stitching spot - when it is bee-free, of course.)

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh wow what a picture! Never seen so many bees round a house before like that. Glad they have gone though.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your sampler is so beautiful.
    I look forward to seeing the finished stitching.
    Bees oh my, thousands it looks like.
    Your outdoor stitching chair looks comfy.

    Blessings
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete

Thanks is much for stopping by. I so enjoy your comments even if I do not always reply. Have a great day that hopefully includes a bit of stitching.