For stitching, I finally, yes finally, I have picked up Corsica River again. I am not too much of a SAL leader with benching this project to two months. I think it was part of the whole I am-too-overwhelmed-to-think-about-it phase I just went through. Now that I have picked it up, I am enjoying it. It has become my Monday-Friday morning stitch. I know at about an hour a day I may never catch up. Hopefully I will take this monster (36 inches wide) on a stitching retreat in the fall and make great progress. And then there is Camp Wannasew in January where much can be accomplished!
I picked up My Stitchers Heart by Cathy Haberman of Hands On Design to start as my take along piece. I feel in love with the simplicity of this and the beautiful colors the first time I saw it. I was quick to contact Elegant Stitch and get on the list for this limited edition stitch.
|This is the back - with a doggie theme for him.|
|The front is R-W-B and the binding is ready to add.|
My daughter snagged this Standard sewing machine for me from a friend who had several old machines in cabinets to get rid of. For now it is making an excellent plant stand for my orchids which might I add by my-green-thumb-self are still blooming since March! They must like this spot. The machine works while hand cracking but needs a belt for the treadle. I don't think I will electrify it; I think I may leave it as it is. This is a project I will pursue once retired.
Yesterday I spent the day in Philly with No. 1 daughter. My daughters gave me a serger for my birthday. I had thought about one before but then convinced myself I didn't need one. When they were both here over the 4th, they were using one and my interest was piqued. And they noticed. So for me and my inaugural plunge into serging, I took my entire stash of linen with me and worked on serging the edges. Wow, that is a crazy amount of linen and that is the pile before I was done. I used to just zig-zag the edges with my regular sewing machine but like the merged edges better.
We also worked on yet another secret project that I can only share limited details as the final products will be gifts for stitching friends. I had a bunch of little motifs that were stitched and didn't know what to do with them. All those smaller motifs stitched that lay languishing in a basket. I bought coordinating fat quarters and started making project bags. It was not without trial and error. There are many tutorials out there on You Tube which helped but I wanted a zipper on the front and not at the top and I didn't want a velcro closure so we had to adapt. Here's a snippet of the first two I have finished. Refinements will continue.
|Some of the fat quarter pairings I have for future project bags.|
And on top of all this, I taught a class at my EGA Chapter. I thought I might throw up on my ride there but I talked myself in from the ledge, had a lifesaver and did relaxation breathing. I am a more of a behind the curtain person than a center stage person. It all worked out great. We did three Christmas in July projects. I made the kits and did the instructions for the Gingerbread Boy and Girl. They were stitched on switchable cork from DMC. That was something new for all of us.
Thanks for stopping by and bearing with me and my (once) overwhelmed self. I am off to stitch the day away on my deck! I hope to post more often with less War and Peace like length! Keep on stitching.