May 2, 2009

Great Day Ahead

The best thing to me that one can do with their time is.......well as I type this I realize I have many 'best' ways to spend time. Spend time helping others, spend time stitching, or as I will do today, spend time with family and friends.

Today is the 62th Annual Wilmington City Garden Tour. And although it looks like weather wise it won't be the best, it other ways it will be perfect. A little history here: when my mom was alive, she and I would attend. Back then, they ran little school buses from house to house and estate to estate. We were given little boxed lunches that we ate in the park along the Brandywine as we chatted and oh'd and ah'd at the beautiful yards and gardens we were visiting.

Gardens from estates, to those of the landscaping enthusiast, to yards acres and acres large, to small walled city gardens (and sometimes interiors as well) are on the tour. You can look and dream and get ideas and marvel at the cleverness and beauty. All and all it is a wonderful for the senses. It gets the creative juices flowing for things to come home and do.

Well I stopped going after my mother passed away in 1993. In the late 90's, I took my daughter and the ritual began again. We don't go every year because it is the same weekend of Celebrations in New Hampshire as well as so many other spring time events. As a treat to my sister and a dear friend, I included them two years ago. Well we had such a great time. We laughed until we cried. And of course as all women my age know, often laughing and sneezing lead to that little embarrassing problem. Without going into a whole lot of detail, suffice it to say, I toured one estate with my sister's jack tied around my waist. That god for cotton and a warm day. So you can imagine as we plan to go again today, there are countless emails about me remember to get my Depends!

This year I included my brother and his girlfriend as well as my niece. They don't seem to quite get the whole 'tour' nor do that understand what could possibly be so funny that I would pee my pants!

I am expecting everyone around 8:30 for breakfast before we head out and the timer just went off for the homemade cinnamon rolls.............

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks is much for stopping by. I so enjoy your comments even if I do not always reply. Have a great day that hopefully includes a bit of stitching.