February 19, 2011

Tripe? oh cripe!!!

All our ingredients are ready and waiting for us to start
Does everyone but me know what  Tripe is?   Last weekend my daughter and I went to a Hearth Cooking Class as the George Read House in New Castle DE.   This was my third year and Heather's first year.   I enrolled her as a Christmas present.   (See previous and add this to the mix!)

Same pot we used for the soup.   Used a long
 poker to swing the arm out and bring the pot closer
It was a fun day and the food was great.   My pix are from last year as I didn't take my camera this time.   Anyway a quick rundown of the day ....  there are 12 in the class with two or three instructors.   We pair off and select which of the recipes we will be in charge of.   Heather and I selected the the Pepperpot Soup with Dumplings.   We proceed through the recipe with the occasional references to "tripe".   ....Cook tripe ahead of time; set aside tripe to cool......  This is a case of not knowing if a SmartPhone is a blessing or not.   Heather Googles Tripe on her phone and we are feigning barking when she tells me what tripe is.   Oh, it's a delicacy the internet says.  But  so are other things that I don't believe will ever pass my lips.  Tripe, I learn is the lining of a cow's stomach.   Yuck!   It was bad enough I had to dice the tripe meaning I had to touch it!   Our Pepperpot Soup also had dumplings and potatoes so eating around the tripe was tricky.   I am not usually a squemish eater but TRIPE!  Really? 
This is the Frut Suppa from last year so that is why it is sitting in the pot with snow to chill it.
We used the same tureen for our Pepperpot Soup.   I liked the tureen much better with the Frut than the Soup!

4 comments:

  1. Hahaha! I ate tripe in a Nigerian recipe so it was a very spicy soup or stew and I really liked it. However, like you I didn't know what it was. I thought it was a type of fish!! I was quite taken aback when I found out and prob wouldn't eat it again. It was rather nice though... xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a child I could not get enough of it, spicy with potatoes in it also. Now i can't bear the thought of it passing my lips

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL. When I saw the title, all I could think is, "ewww....it's somebody's guts, isn't it?!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! I seriously can just imagine your faces when you found out what it was!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks is much for stopping by. I so enjoy your comments even if I do not always reply. Have a great day that hopefully includes a bit of stitching.