June 30, 2019

3-day Weekends

Got to say I am getting used to them.   And got to say that this is causing me to doubt my retirement decision.    Thing is, it never has been the job; it has always been the workload.   Since my replacement has taken the CEO off my plate as she is learning my job, it is so easy to do a normal and not a triple/double flip of a workload.    I think by January 10th I can convince myself that even a 4-day work week is too much.  It feels good to have a non-Herculean workload for the first time in about forever.

So, with this extra day off what have I been doing.......really too soon to make a difference.  I've been making Friday my appointment days - oil change, trip to the framer's, dentist, hair appt.  It does take the pressure off squeezing appointments in to the workday.  I feel like I've got the best of both worlds.  I can say the yard is in pristine condition.   Some closets and drawers have been cleaned.   Some reading has been done.  And a new to me thing, is listening to audio books.   In one three day weekend, working in the garden three hours each day, I managed to listen to The Tattooist of Auschwitz.   Three day weekends are proving to be a win-win for me.

For stitching I have been on a Red-White-and-Blue binge.    I hope to get this canvas piece, Hooray for the Red, White and Blue done by mid-July.  I have done very little canvas work in the past.   This is proving interesting and fun.

I find I really need to be in the right position for working on this one.   Like at a table with a frame weight or using my Lowery stand.  



It is fun seeing the plaid start to form.    Today I hope to finish the row of flowers and at least another row on the plaid.
















I am working on stitching up these cuties.   I'd like to finished the last little ones today or tomorrow and be ready to finish these as ornaments.   I have the house in the lower right to finish and a tiny little parade one to stitch still.  Don't you think you need to be in  the mood to do finishing?   I do and I credit that as the reason why that basket 'o shame of finishes is so large.



 Another I am looking to finish this week is from my basket o' shame of stitched and then left to languish.  Not quite sure how I am going to finish this.   Might dive into that newly sorted box of frames I have in the craft room and see what might work.

And, I always like to share if I find something that works.    Now this works for me!    I tend to sprawl  when I sit and stitch.   Whether as home or at a class.   I bought this little tray at Prim Stitchers Retreat for the obvious reasons.  Yardstick/stitcher.    I find that keeping this by my side it gives me a target to aim for placing my bits and bobs.   Better than needles in the arm of the chair and scissors between the seat cushions.  It measures about 5 by 9 inches and is perfect.    Next class I go it, I will be taking this for sure.  


The other good product I found and was easy to use is this Instant Antique spray.   I have no idea where I picked this up.   Some store where it was displayed near the check out and I thought, oh I have to have that!  I wanted to coffee/tea stain fabric for my patriotic ornament backing and the coffee dying didn't really make much of a change.  Mostly likely this was my fault for being overly anxious to see the result and pulling the fabric out of its coffee bath too soon.   Anyway, the light bulb went off and I remembered I had this spray.    Easy to use but I recommend a generous amount of paper towel lining the counter top because of the over spray.  The voice of experience here.



For the 4th of July, it is our 4th Annual Girls weekend and my daughters should start arriving on the 3rd.  I bought us all the same jelly roll of fabric and challenged them to come up with a quilt patterns to use.   It should be fun to see how they all turn out different.   And truthfully, we may go a whole other route....and considering I am not exactly sure where my jelly roll can be found..... it is whatever any of us want to work on.   We never really have preset project plans in mind but I know by the time they leave there will have been many laughs and a multitude of projects finished.  I'm thinking I might arrange a spa afternoon for us......but that would require we dress in something other than a bathing suit or pj's and stop crafting for at least an afternoon.    hmmm, rough decision.  

 Mr. W. is back on the road for the summer and this weekend I spent fixing my pond.   The 20+ year pre-formed shell sprung a leak.   Fortunately I had a large pond liner (like a tarp) in the attic.    Pond drained, plants and filters out, I lined the existing pond shell with the liner.    Things are back to normal now.   Having no major yard projects in mind for the summer working on the pond let me mind stray......hmmm, do I relocate my fairy garden around the pond?   Some thought is needed on that.    Pool time today is an option.   The water temp is finally out of the 70's and I admit to only being in the pool twice because Mr. William wanted to swim when he visited two weeks ago.





Thanks all I've got folks.   Time to stop lallygagging and get the laundry on the line and attack the day.

Thanks for stopping by and.....keep on stitching.

6 comments:

  1. Robin, you sure have a ton of energy--will you tell me your secret???
    The canvas piece is looking great-love the plaid work. Yes, I too have to be "in the mood" for finishing. It's so easy to just pick up your stitching and away you go. Finishing involves planning, getting tools and supplies pulled, etc.. However, I do really enjoy the finishing one I am ready to roll.
    Your pond looks very nice and I'm sure is quite soothing. Have fun on the "girls" weekend--hope you get a lot accomplished, Happy Fourth of July!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pond area looks great; glad the leak was fixable. That spray stain looks interesting. Your patriotic pieces are looking good. Glad the 3-day weekends are working out as well as the new hire who will be replacing you when retirement rolls around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are spot on as usual Stitch Witch!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the canvas work piece. So happy for you that the job and three day weekends are working out. I also use a tray for my stitching tools, so handy. Skip the spa would be my vote, keep crafting, much more relaxing. Great job on the water feature repair!
    Have a wonderful week.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Robin: I am loving all your Patriotic stitching, I do like working on congress cloth, it seems to add something special to the stitch's making them seems stronger then linen.
    I hope your pond never leaks again, I can only imagine what a chore it was to do that work.
    The bits and bobs box is wonderful, I have used the antique spray, I like it so much better then the hand dying which can be a chore.
    Have a wonderful week.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that Canvas stitch, so pretty.
    More great Patriotic stitches too.
    Love your Pond!
    Have a great 4th of July with your daughters!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete

Thanks is much for stopping by. I so enjoy your comments even if I do not always reply. Have a great day that hopefully includes a bit of stitching.