September 21, 2019

Statue of Liver-T

An explanation and no disrespect intend.     When my son was about 4 or 5 he had a fascination for the Statue of Liberty.   He would grab the TV guide and grab a candlestick and take the Statue of Liberty stance and start singing her praises to anyone who asked.    We have no idea where this came from but it even become our 'secret' safe word with the kids when they were small.  It is just one of those quirky family stories that we replay for his embarrassment.....but as usual, i digress.

As for my embarrassment,  I have lived my entire life in New Jersey and never had I visited the Statue of Liberty.   Wow, it is true what they say, that we have treasures right in our own backyards.

I took a bus trip with a friend from work and we ventured to Liberty Park on September 11th.   On the bus drive up we watched a 45 minute introductory movie about Ellis Island.   What a wonderful day and what a wonderful National Park.
I can't imagine what is must be like to live with this view in your backyard.

View of Ellis Island from the ferry dock.

NYC skyline from the ferry dock.

I have long thought that being the sappy person that I am that I would probably cry when I saw the Statue of Liberty.  I was actually more moved by Ellis Island.

This must have looked like a palace after all those days on board a ship crossing the ocean.





I found information on my both my maternal grandmother and grandfather.  My grandfather left home in Holland at 14 and worked as a cook on a merchant vessel.  This is the last entry into America.


I have two family trunks like the one above. It really brought home the connection.

 It was very emotional for me to stand in this great hallway and know that 101 years ago my grandparents walked through this very hall and that I could be standing in the exact spot, on the same floor under the same ceiling (both ceiling and floor are original)  as they did.




I found it hard to imagine the courage it must have taken to make that frightful journey across the ocean to an unknown.

The things that seem to impact may not be what others notice.   I marveled at the wear on the original stair treads from the over 4,000 sets of footsteps each day.

Original tile and flooring.  Just further proves they don't make things like they used to.

The tour itself was well done.  We traveled from room to room with headsets which recapped the steps an immigrant would have been taken upon arrival to the new world and a new life.

Immigrants were examined and received chalk markings on the left chest area of their clothing.   It indicated if they were sick or not, had mental issues or not, etc. and served to determine which area they were be next 'sorted' to.
 

I button hook - yes, a button hook used for fastening shoes of the time - was used to pull the eyelids up  and down to look for a certain eye disease.   If an immigrant was found to have this eye disease, they were turned back.   It was the obligation of the ship that brought over the refugee to provide passage, at no charge, back to England or Europe

 Tests similar to the one below, were used to test intelligence.

Refugees ate well.   Imagine the dishes for 4,000 to 5,000 people for 3 meals each day.   That kitchen must have been efficient!



The hospital on Ellis Island where the sick were sent.



Three shots below.  Each taken from approximately the same spot with different levels of zoom.



View of the hospital on site.  A necessity for those who were ill.

There was a bank onsite that would convert the tiny amount of money brought in into american money.



NYC skyline from the ferry from Ellis Island to Liberty Island.

Our ferry circled the island for a 360 view of Lady Liberty before docking.

The original torch on display on Liberty Island

And unfortunately this when my phone died.   Joyce took a few pix for me and I hope to have her send them to me shortly.  

There was so much to see and do and we enjoyed the day so much that I would go back again.

Thanks for stopping by........and I promise I will share some stitching next........a teaser - a finish and a new start.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recap of your visit...must have been very sobering, especially on 9/11.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful outing you had! I went with a group of 7th graders back in the 90s. I would love to go back and take it all in without having to supervise anyone. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robin: How lucky you are to visit a place so very important in our history, I do wish it was still that way for immigrants to enter like our forefathers, it would make things so much peaceful.
    I love the Statue Of Liberty, it is on my bucket list to see, I too would be emotional at Ellis Island Museum, the Statue gives me goosebumps when I see it.
    Please share with us the new photos when you get them.
    Thank-you for sharing this beautiful trip with us.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great pics of history.
    Glad you found some info on your relatives.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now THAT is what immigration TRULY is! Proper, safe and with respect for the country and all those who reside! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for a fabulous tour. I guess we have evolved right out of the realm of respect and going through the proper channels. My grandparents came from Germany and Poland.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete

Thanks is much for stopping by. I so enjoy your comments even if I do not always reply. Have a great day that hopefully includes a bit of stitching.