October 8, 2019

Finishes to share.....

Well I set a September 25th goal to complete this project but I finished with a day or two to spare.    Some weeks there is just no time to stitch!  How can that be?    I have had a couple or three work events and fundraisers and shopping for fixtures and flooring and such so that is my excuse.

This guy was enjoyable to stitch.   He worked up fast.   I could finish it myself however I learned of a finisher that will do for a steal of a deal.    Rather than have him sit in the basket of shame of UFO's, I jumped on the chance.    Thank you Lynn D for being my delivery person for the drop off.

I did a little experiment in the lower corner adding Whisper in satin stitch style and then in long and short stitches to try to see which gave me the coverage I liked best.  I hope once it is "bunked" it will give me good results.


Some other finishes lately are stitching related, while still others are sanity related.

Who knew when I decided to burn a week's vacation as a Stay-cation is would be the same week demo started on my bathroom and who knew Mr. W. would go overboard and tell the contractor as soon as he was done the bath, to start the kitchen.  As with all things that are supposed to be 'simple', we went from a new shower insert to a complete bathroom gut job and plumbing replaced.    What a 'pleasure' it is to have my own Spot-o-Pot and have ALL the neighbors know when I am 'going'.   Down to the studs and damaged floor to be replaced.  We are in week three of the fun.  Ugh.

There is no point in fall house cleaning when there is construction going on.  So I decided instead make the most of my time off and to dedicate each day to a project.





One task I tackled was my walk-in closet that masquerades as a high school girl's bedroom.  Everything off the shelves, everything out of the drawers.   I was honest about what I have not and don't even expect to wear again and I boxed it up to donate.  I even went through the costume jewelry.   It was a struggle since I have the fabulous notion I could use the beads in finishing some unknown project or as embellishment for something in some unknown year.  I held fast and parted with a bunch.  I have 6 bags ready for Catholic Charities.......now it is just getting them out of the bedroom and dropped off.  I didn't quite make it through the entire closet but what an improvement.  One step at a time.

The yard was another day.  I pulled all the veggies out and turned over the soil for next year's growing season.   I trimmed trees and bushes.   I stowed away summer furniture.    Except for my egg chair.    I plain to sit in it with a warm blanket and cup of something and watch it snow this winter.

It feels good to declutter and organize.  Sometimes I don't know what ails me and I find it is that I am overwhelmed with all things that are messy and, for me, it puts me out of sorts.  That's my story anyway.

Not to worry, in between the sorting and cleaning and purging, I took an hour break each morning and each afternoon to dedicate to stitching.   I have finished the first three felt ornaments from Larissa Holland's 12 Days of Christmas.
Days Four and Five are stitched and cut and ready to assemble.    I really want to get these done for this holiday season.  I think when I am not doing 9 other things in the morning before work, I should concentrate on these.  They each have so many pieces!

Hey, I am wondering....is this what retirement will be like?   If so, I am ready.    If you factor in the vacation hours, holidays and weekends, I have about 35 workdays left.    My boss is still trying to persuade me to stay; others don't believe I will go; still others believe I will be back.    While it may help the ego to be wanted, plain and simple, I am tired of the BS.   What started in 1985 as a little side job to keep me busy turned into 33 years first as a school secretary and then a job change to the Executive Administrative Assistant to the CEO and CFO of a utility.    I can't say I have loved every minute but for the most part I thoroughly enjoyed my job, am thankful for all I have learned and am thankful for everything that I have been exposed to especially in the last 20 years at the utility but it is time......

Thanks for stopping by and keep on stitching.

7 comments:

  1. Santa is so sweet...I really need to pull mine out and start it. You are always busy, but I'm hoping you can relax and enjoy retirement when it comes. I'm with you about "messiness".... and I am NOT the tidiest person in the world...but when my crafty area bet out of control, I just seem to wander restlessly from task to task never really settling in on what I need to do. After some purging and putting everything in its place, I feel better and can get back in the 'groove'. Hope that bathroom continues to move forward quickly for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Santa stitch looks incredible and I look forward to seeing him in finished form. Your felt ornaments are looking good. Hope the bathroom renovation is moving along and you will be able to use it soon. Those 35 days will go quickly. Here's to retirement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robin: I love this Santa, he is adorable.
    I love working with felt, its so pliable and the end result is beautiful.
    I love being retired, I can now devote time to the things I really like to do, stitching is my number one priority.
    I know what you mean about people not believing you will not come back, I had the same at my job.
    Congratulations on making the decision to retire.
    By the way my husband is like yours there is no rest between project, love the biffie photo, giggles.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too need to get my `Santa` out and stitch him as well. I`ve to tidy my craft area as not much is getting done while it`s like this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the new blog header.
    Those felt ornaments are stunning.
    Kudos's to Mr. W for the kitchen start, and it's a great way to sort, reorganize and discard yet more stuff!
    Okay, so for your current college course on Pre-Retirement 101
    I'll say you've got an A+++++ so far!!
    Have a great week, can't wait to see what next week brings.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great going on the Santa! I'd probably have someone other than myself finish it too! It seems that after all that stitching was done, I'd be nervous about messing it up....so I probably WOULD mess it up! lol!
    Your staycation was a lot more exciting than mine! So sorry about the bathroom extras....but, sounds to me like you've got a good contractor that will make sure it is done right!
    Love those felt ornies too...
    And what a peaceful picture you painted when you said you'd be outside in you chair in a blanket with something hot watching the snow fall! Eureka!!! I'm going to give that a go too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope your renovating is done soon.
    Santa is too cool!
    Those felt ornaments are so very pretty.
    After 30 year at my last job, I also felt it was time.
    A person can only do so much, & I guess they thought I was a machine!
    Retired 2 years ago this December, & don't regret it at all.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete

Thanks is much for stopping by. I so enjoy your comments even if I do not always reply. Have a great day that hopefully includes a bit of stitching.