September 10, 2020

Here I go again....

off onto the a different track......this time it is a purposeful side-track......

......have you ever just looked around and seen a couple of things out of place in each room you enter?  I am self aware enough to know that when I start to get that overwhelmed-crazy, out-of-sorts, something-is-amiss-but-I-don't-know-what feeling, it is because I need a good ole sort out and pick up session.  It is some kind of unconscious weight on my shoulders.  It started when I pulled out all the tubs for the fall decorations.  I know there will always be a mess  when changing out the decor from season to season.  But I just had to give myself with a firm talking to that I needed to 'pick up' before I launched yet-another-project.  You know, complete one task before you start another.   What a concept!  Those couple of things here and there quickly turned into what seemed to be half-a-hundred.

It's not that I don't straighten up and clean each week but I have been so bent on getting outside to enjoy the weather, the pool and yard I admit I have been maybe doing the minimum.  I needed to put the brakes on.    I told myself use what works - touch it once and handle and a half-hour tops.  I intended to just do my stitching area and stuff.  Somehow I moved to baseboards, ceiling fan blades, the stack of mail on my desk,  removed seat cushions and so on.   Threads and needles,  bits and bobs out of place, goldfish crackers and Fisher-Price little people under the cushions with a couple pairs of scissors, a pile of mail on the desk reviewed, so two hours later, I felt good.  Family room is cleaned and I can move onto something I want to do without guilt.  

For stitching I have put all my concentration on The Women of the Mayflower sampler by Brenda Gervais.  Today is Day 5 of 66.  This is such a fun SAL.   The premise is to stitch daily from September 6 to November 5, 2020 to commemorate the sailing of the Mayflower.  There are FB groups and Instagram groups and everyone is sharing and supportive.  Brenda has a great start-up video on the private FB group and was so adorable dressed up like a Pilgrim.   And she is sending out questions to answer for give-aways.     

Brenda encouraged us that while we are stitching on this sampler to think about what these women went through.   Imagine, sailing to the unknown, being able to only take along only what would fit in one trunk, (think carefully - no Amazon to order from once you arrive), knowing you will never see again the people you have left behind, being on the sea in cramped quarters......66 days and having no idea if you will make it or not.........surely no creature comforts.......I don't know if I could have ventured into the unknown as they did. It makes me even more grateful for everything I have within my reach even during a pandemic! 

My plan was to keep up by stitching 6 rows a day.  Operative word being 'plan'.  Day 2, I went amok. I saw where someone else did the border down to the waves, completed the waves and then would be working up from the waves for the ship.  Made sense to me so I changed my approach.

I am looking forward to fall weather so I can get back out in my yard and do some damage.   I have a lot I want to get cleared still and spring bulbs to get in.

And I almost forgot I got two pieces of  Happy Mail yesterday.   I did forget one was coming; and the other was a real surprise.   First I joined the Fat Quarter Shop Quarterly Cross Stitch Club way back at the end of May.    I joined too late for the last quarterly mailing and completely forgot it was time for the next quarter's mailing.  Like I need anything else but it is so fun to get mail.   Look how adorable this was packed in a fall themed stitching bag.  Inside it was full of all the goodies needed to complete the pattern.   The fabric provided is 10-ct Aida so this will stitch up into a nice pillow!  






The other was a Post Card from Germany from the CEO of the Company I worked for and I was excited about that one too!  It made me remember when I was in Germany.  I remember how clean the cities were and beautiful their gardens were.  Of course I am sure the tour only took us to the best places.  I did text her a reply but it is not the same as the effort someone puts in to real mail.  I will have to get a card in the mail to her maybe to some other friends as well to put a smile on their faces.  


I just love getting snail mail.

Thanks for stopping by.   Stay safe, stay healthy and keep on stitching.    

Remember of all the things you can be, be kind.  ðŸ˜Š


5 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed your post today .
    I know how you feel , I am only going to get a few things out for fall this year. Just for our enjoyment .
    I have been to busy in the garden then I come back inside and want to stitch .
    So the house work gets put back .
    But I did do well last week and cleaned all down stairs in a day .
    So upstairs the weekend ,if I can drag my self inside .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Starting a cleaning session lead to an all day project!
    Great progress on the Mayflower, love your fabric.
    That looks like a cute kit.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you on getting your family room area all tidied up! But now I have that song, Here I Go Again, on repeat in my head. You have made awesome progress on your Mayflower piece, Robin. What super items you received in the mail. Like you, I really enjoy getting snail mail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emails and texting are quick... but, I think snail mail cards and letters are so much more "special". Especially for Christmas... who doesn't want glitter snow all over your fingers and house after opening the mail, right? lol!
    Great start on the Women of the Mayflower!
    Sure wish I had signed up for the Stitch Quarterly! That little pumpkin is so cute...and love the colors of floss! I guess I had better sign up in time for the Christmas one... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great progress on the Women of the Mayflower!
    That little pumpkin is so cute, great colors too.
    Sometimes I need to side track, then I get that
    extra boost to trudge on.
    Have a great week.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete

Thanks is much for stopping by. I so enjoy your comments even if I do not always reply. Have a great day that hopefully includes a bit of stitching.