September 24, 2020

Sometimes there is no answer....

Why, why, why do I never seem to run out of things to do?  Do I take on more than I should?   Do I not know how to say no even to myself?  Why do I see things to do where other's don't?  Do I invent things to do? (yes I do!!)    And the piesta le resistance, why does the grass seed always sprout better in the flower bed versus the bare spots?  


But enough.   No need to waste time on solving the mysteries of my personal universe.  Let’s see what I have gotten done.   For Coming to America I was blown off course and seem to be tangled in the Sargasso Sea.    I wish I had asked the question as to why the little pilgrim was standing outside of the boat on the waves.   Of course I charged ahead and stitching the boat to have him standing behind the rail.  Only then did I find out why he is outside the boat.  He represents John Howland who fell overboard during a storm but was pulled back aboard and rescued.   Now that I know the story, I can’t leave him behind the ship's rail.  Why did I not think to ask the significance of his position?    Maybe fair winds will sail my ship out of the tangles of the pending frogging.


I did finish Ornaments ala Round.  I will post a picture once I have it framed.  

I made progress on Raegan’s stocking.  I am saving the hair for last since it consists of french knots and a detached braid.  I don't want to smash the stitches as I roll it on the scroll bars.   I am more than half way done.   I need to shop my buttons, beads and charms to find some good ones to attach.



I picked up my EGA project, a Terri Bey Lotus Box.  I worked on it one weekend in June and put it down while I waited for #8 perle cotton.  The perle cotton arrived but I didn’t pick the project up.   Now I need to get busy.  The pattern was intimidating but I am pleasantly surprised how easy it is to follow the well-written instructions.  We have a zoom meeting in October to learn how to assemble it.  I understand assembly will be similar to putting together a biscournu.



I did finish a complete sort out of my craft room.  I had to remove everything from the walk-in closet so the inspectors could access the attic hatchway to check out the roof structure to make sure it could support the new solar panels.     I did end up with a couple of boxes I hope to send off for eBay sales.  

All my fat quarters are again sorted by color/type as best possible.


These wire locker baskets I found at an estate sale work perfecting to storing finishing supplies and small frames on the closet shelf.  

The main thing taking my time has been the yard project.   The bricks lining my paths were  found while clearing.   The pavers where I placed the park bench are left-over from my daughter's patio.  The flagstone, some is from my yard and some was found while clearing.  Since technically this is past my property line I don’t need to go overboard investing a ton in landscaping dollars.  A ton of time seems to be a different story.

I have done as much as I plan to this fall.....famous last words.   On the right side of the brick path I planted over 100 daffodil and iris bulbs, three mums and periwinkle ground cover.   The cool thing is the bulbs were found from other gardens around my yard and my daughter's gardens and were originally from my father's garden.   Is that possible they could be 40 years old and still viable?  I think planting bulbs is my favorite planting......I love the anticipation of them coming up when you are in the doldrums of winter.     The periwinkle is from existing gardens and also was originally from my father's flower beds.  I bought the mums for a great fall pop of color.

To complete the right hand side, from where have finished to back to the three line, I plan to clear, plant some ferns, more periwinkle and a favorite, some bleeding hearts next spring.  I've never had a good shady area I could plant them; now I do.  Then this side will be done which will be about 1/4 of the area.   I will gradually work towards the left, adding shrubs and low maintenance paintings.  Again, this is going to be a several-summer-endeavor.  This time last year, this was nothing but a 75 foot fallen oak blocking the entire overgrowth of vines and briars.  Good thing I really really really enjoy yard work.  

So that's all I've got.   Thanks for stopping by.   Stay safe, healthy and keep on stitching.

7 comments:

  1. I have that same problem with grass. :(
    Great progress on your WIPS.
    The flowers will be so pretty next Spring.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robin, the garden looks lovely...your hard work is paying off. Hopefully you'll now have some time to plant some stitches! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The yard area is looking good, Robin. I hope you will share photos of it in the spring. Thanks for sharing the why behind the pilgrim standing on the water. I hope you get to cross many stitches this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I can't even begin to imagine the amount of work involved. Just the idea of carrying the bricks around exhausts me, lol! What a wonderful spot. It will look fantastic when the bulbs bloom. Congrats on a never ending job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Step aside Energizer Bunny, I think you've been replaced!!
    Oh Robin, your yard work, it looks like a park. I bet Buddy
    enjoys surveying the area.
    Great progress on stitching also.
    Have a great weekend.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I liked to garden as much as you do! It looks wonderful! Busy people always find something to do, it’s sloths like me that don’t!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post and beautiful stitching .
    Lovely garden it takes most of my time but you feel good after being outside. like you I never say no to myself to much going on in life .
    Enjoy your weekend .

    ReplyDelete

Thanks is much for stopping by. I so enjoy your comments even if I do not always reply. Have a great day that hopefully includes a bit of stitching.