October 5, 2020

Like a tennis match

I am back from my weekend in OCMD.   It was great.   We all followed the rules - sanitizing, keeping our distance, wearing masks.   The long weekend was just what I needed after a summer of yard work.  

I made great progress on Coming to America.  There are many others way ahead of me but I am sailing at my own speed.  

Two birds left and I will be finished with the section with the ship.  I may stitch down the side and stitch the placement of other bands....and I may not.

I also had a new start.   I have a self-created rule......a new start at any Lankford visit.   This start has been planned since early summer.   My group of Jersey Girls and I are all stitching Theresa Kogut’s Land That I Love.    I didn’t get a whole lot stitched but I did make a start.   I am stitching on 35-count Aspen.   We each have different linens but are all using the called for threads.   It is always neat to see the different looks you get of the same pattern.   

For anyone stitching this, don't worry, I know the "A" was supposed to be blue.    I am not making the U, the S and the A in blue but rather I am stitching my initials in the blue.    I am doing a twist with doing the letters stitching as smyrna cross rather than just a plain old cross.  That's about as far as I will go with changing what the designer has charted.

I think I am a convert!   This is the second piece I have stitched on anything over 32 count.   Coming to America being the first.   I have always been fearful of using 40-count but it may be in my future.  I really like the look of things on 40-count but have always feared I wouldn’t be able to manage it.   I have a nice big piece of 40-count Navy Bean in my stash that is now calling me.  

For my stash, since I have been doing mail order all summer, I did not buy a lot.     I bought Heartstrings Samplery Berry Bowl Sampler.  I have liked this since I first saw this on The Attic's flosstube.   I choose one piece of doubloon rather then two pieces of linen that need to be joined.   I have done the fabric joining in the past but couldn’t find a suitable combination for my taste.   And, it’s 36 count!   


I also bought Harvest Time from Lila’s Studio.   I just fell in love with her plaid skirt.  I think I may have even have owned one like it back in the day.   I have plenty of Halloween stitching but I need more fall themed stitches.    I am sure I can stitch this using fabric and floss from stash.

For history making events, I was out on the boardwalk at 9:15 Saturday night to see the launch of the rocket ship from Wallops Island heading to the International Space Station.  It was very cool to see, not so easy to photograph with a phone.    I found these on FB and they pretty much show my view.



This one is using a little more photographer savy time-lapse finesse.  Thank you Ken Fullerton!


I am volleying back to the Salty Yarns and the Lankford again on Thursday.  I am attending Jamboree.  These classes were booked in March.  We have been on the edge of our seats all summer hoping Jamboree would not be canceled.  Some are attending via Zoom so the class sizes are much smaller.  And again all the Covid safety rules will be followed.   One of the classes is with Fern Ridge.   As you know they are famous for their peyote beading.......yikes!   I’ve never done peyote beading so I hope my table mates have patience with me.  Fortunately this is all part of my new mantra......move out of your comfort zone.   This class is spot on for that!

Thanks for stopping by, stay kind, stay safe and keep in stitching.

5 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had an incredible time on the Lankford and OCMD, Robin. You are off to a great start on the Kogut design and your Mayflower is looking awesome. I bet that was a sight to see of the launching of the rocket ship. Enjoy your next appearance at the Salty Yarns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds Like you had a good time your stitching retreat .
    Love your stitching and your new goodies .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad that you got to go to your retreat.
    Great progress on both pieces, & nice stash!
    Lila is coming out with some cute pieces, love her designs.
    Great pics of the rocket ship.
    Have fun at your class.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the new header, I wonder how many Sasquatch live there??
    Land That I Love colors are gorgeous!
    Sounds like you had a great weekend and another coming up.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m glad you got to go to the retreat!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks is much for stopping by. I so enjoy your comments even if I do not always reply. Have a great day that hopefully includes a bit of stitching.