August 27, 2021

August Progress

Hey Peeps!  I'm alive and well here,  I just haven't been that into posting often as I was.  I am blaming at the heat.  It just zaps my energy.  

I used to pride myself on being a Multi-Task Aficionado  but since I retired I feel like I am a One-Track Jane.   I dive in stitching and yard work suffers; I dive into yard work and housework suffers; I dive into housework and paperwork suffers.   I dive into my craft room and I lose a few days.…..lol.   You get the picture.  I need that multi-tasking Robin back!   I am still eating those words to my kiddos - "do your have-to's before your want-to's".  But alas, when I don't want to deal with a task, I admit it, I hide in my stitching or in my yard.   It really is hard finding time for everything when you are retired.  But enough....

Since I took July to finish the stitching on a bunch of smaller projects I decided to spend August working on fully finishing some of them.   I decided early on to use this pansy on a box lid.  No one has ever seen the amount of zig zag lacing I did on the back of this to pull out all the wrinkles.  I haven't glued it to the top yet because I am not 100% sure I am going with the paint color and I do have to apply the wax still.  Looking at it now, I am thinking I should swap the chenille trim with some cording.  Hmmmmm....?

I also stitched and finished this Theresa Baird Strawberry for our September EGA meeting.    While I was at it, I took a handkerchief I bought for $2 at a consignment shop and decided to turn it into a strawberry.   I only was interested in the tatted piece on the top when I bought.   These are my first two strawberries and I am liking how fast these stitch up and how easy they are to finish!

 

Below is the handkerchief I purchased.    I thought the tatted flower would make a perfect strawberry top.....and then..... I thought why lose the pretty tatted edge and decided to use the hanky to make another strawberry.    I cut the corners on a 45 degree angle and added to them to the top edge before I gathered and stuffed the strawberry.  

Here are three EGA Christmas in July ornaments I finished. 




I mounted March from Hands On Design - Year of Celebration.   Three months done/nine to stitch.

 


Another Hands on Design piece I finished, With This Needle, I Thee Thread.    I need to press it to make its edges crisper.  I fell in love with the colors the I first time I saw this chart.   Cathy has such a great eye for her color choices.


And another EGA challenge piece.   Something was missing when he was done then dug into my stash and found the googily eyes.  They finished it off just right.
 

Mill Hill Santa finished.  


I am waiting on an Amazon order of polyfil and interfacing for some pillows.  While I wait, I pulled fabric and trims for several pillow finishes.  The next rainy day (or super duper hot steamy day), I hope to put them together.   

I have added to my hexie quilt.  This one is easy to work on when mindless stitching is needed.  I am slowly working my way up to those single hexies in the upper left.    That MAY be the finished width.  


My only stitching stitching this month has been on the Terri Bay Lotus Box.   First half was done and I now I just have to finish the last section of satin stitches and then the blackwork corners and I will be ready to assemble.  Super happy to have gotten this much done.  I can see this finished before our meeting in September which was my goal!


I took a day and went to Lancaster County.   Always a pleasure.   I did some antique shopping and almost bought a Mauchline pincushion/needlebox but the design had been taken off.   The whole point with Mauchline is the design, so I passed.    Not to worry, I can't be in Strasburg area and not stop at Hodge Podge Cross Stitch store.   Passing on the Mauchline ware gave me justification to pick  up a couple of charts and fabric that spoke to me.   Since I now stitch on higher count I need to build my inventory (further justification of purchases).  I want to rethink what I have kitted up already and change out the fabric in some to 36 count and heaven help me, 40 count could be just around the corner.



Up next, I pulled this frame out of my stash of supplies and it will be perfect for the cardinal.   I think I will lace this and finish it this afternoon.  It feels so good to be emptying my tub of stitched pieces to FFO's!

But I can't do that until I finish this t-shirt for Sweet William.   I created this pattern and will use fabric paint to get it ready for him for Monday morning.   The thought is that on the first day of school every year he wears it (heaven help us, not to school but just for a photo op) and we watch him grow into it.


I continue to spend time with my sister each week.  We usually do something crafty and always do lunch.  Baby sitting one day a week continues.   Frequent weekend visits from the grands has left little stitching time. It is a happy trade off.   Raegan needs to be renamed the Boss Baby Terminator.   Such a strong-willed, over-achiever  that I  think she has reached the terrible two's six months ahead of schedule.    She really is 100% girl, loves flowers, and dressing up and loves anything with glitter!  She is in for an adjustment next week with her big brother is in school all day.

So that's where I stand.  The days are growing shorter and the evenings cooler and with that a relief from the heat and humidity that we have all had enough of.  Thanks for stopping by.   Stay safe, stay healthy and keep on stitching.

10 comments:

  1. Love the shirt Idea for Will!! Good job on finishing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a clever idea for Will! You’ve been really accomplishing a lot, I’m envious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what great stitching and finishing .
    Lovely post .
    I find since I retired I have never got enough time for all I want to do.
    I must be getting slower ha.
    Have a good weekend .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute finishes & future projects.
    Love those hexies!
    That's a cool idea for the shirt.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds (and looks) like you had a productive August, Robin. The frame for the cardinal stitch is perfect for that stitch. Love the frame! I love your tee shirt idea for William. What a memory to have for years to come! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW, what a month!
    So many different projects.
    Love the new stash choices.
    The Lotus Box and Cardinal are awesome.
    Such a great idea for Will's T-shirt.
    Have a great week.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  7. Robin, you sure had a productive month...all the finishes are beautiful!!! Is that chenille on the pansy multi colored, or did you braid it? I love the idea for will..he will look so cute in it now and it will be fun to watch him grow into it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Robin: What a beautiful post, that shirt is a hoot at first glance I thought it said class of 1933 I had to go back and look at it again, I hope you show a photo of the finished shirt.
    That is a perfect frame for the Cardinal, nice new stash, Lotus Box is a beautiful design, I am so in love with your hexagon quilt, all your ornaments are lovely and such perfect finishing.
    Perfect top for your strawberries, the Pansy box top is beautiful, I like the chenille trim, I think it is beautiful.
    It has been warm here but finally rain and lots of it here in Minnesota the home state of the mosquito, this year since very little rain we have no mosquito's.

    Hugs
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  9. That cardinal finish is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd say you've had a very productive month, Robin! I only got one post in last month even though I always aim for two. Summer is just SUCH a busy time of year. Love all of your stitching--especially the cardinal piece. I have stitched the From the Heart patriotic piece on 40 ct. and just love it. You can do it!! Great progress on your hexies. I really need to get back to the hexie quilt that I was making for my grandson's birthday (well he's now 14 months!). Happy September!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks is much for stopping by. I so enjoy your comments even if I do not always reply. Have a great day that hopefully includes a bit of stitching.