November 27, 2021

November (c)rush Day 9

After checking into our room, we had time to walk around the Main Street area and visit several of the shops.   We walked to the train station and criss-crossed the blocks around the area.   I had a great Bourbon Glazed Salmon  Dinner at The Depot Grille; Stacy, not so much. Her’s looked like the top came off the oregano and gave her more than a heavy dusting across her pasta. It really was bad and definitely needed to be sent back.  



If walls could talk, I wonder what stories this one would have.

 Augusta County Courthouse, completed 1901, still in use.

I think I must have been an architect in a former life.   This kind of work amazes and fascinates me.

Our room was part of the Frederick House Hotel. It is a 20-room inn situating in 5 historic houses in walking distance of historic downtown Staunton.  The current owners, Ross and Brooke bought the hotel in  2017.    As I said, our room was adorable.   Here is the link to our room, Bowers 20.    

The staff was so friendly and I truly would recommend this place to anyone.  One word of warning, our room was on the third floor and no elevators.   Thank goodness at this point we were using overnight bags.




And breakfast was fantastic.    I did not realize I booked us at a B & B when I made the reservations.   I was just looking for a stop about half-way home.    Look at their menu.  It was on the coffee mugs.    It was a toss up but I went with the Apple Raison quiche.  Delicious.  I would definitely stay here again.



So up and atom for our ride home.   We scoped out some places to stop and break up the trip.   First up was Cross Stitch Station.  Like we needed another cross stitch store at this point but…….want and need are two different things when it comes to cross stitching.  Here’s a heads up, don’t go by their address on the internet.   They have moved.   Give them a call for the new location.   It is still in Waynesboro and only a mile or so away from their old location.   That said, the store may have been small but it was packed with models, and patterns, and floss and notions.   The owner was so pleasant and patient with us as we ‘auditioned’ fabrics and flosses.I actually spent more here than at the Merchant Mall at the retreat.

Next up, we were zooming up 81 and there was a big old sign for the “Largest Fabric Store in Virginia”.   Blinker on and we exited the highway.   The store, Patchwork Plus, was gigantic.    It not only had quality fabric but the way the store and the displays were laid out you knew it was a great shop.  There was any kind of fabric you wanted in every color.   There was wool and wool appliqué, cross stitch and floss, notions, and gift ideas.   It was fabulous and dangerous to the pocketbook for sure.

Look, Jamie Fraser was spotted on the next aisle.  Picture is not so good.  It was a life size cut out and I should have walked back around and taken the full on kilt shot of him but there was so much fabric to look at. Sorry Jamie.

I just fell is love with this pattern and had to buy it.  Now, will I ever do it?  I hope so.

I bought fat quarters to add to my stash.   The holiday prints had me and I could have said…one of each please but alas I would not have had room for all of it.

And look at the cute quilt charm stapled to my receipt.   I didn’t find it until I was home and unpacking.   Made me smile.


So back in the car and north to the Quilt Museum of Virginia.  It is in Harrisonburg, home of James Madison University.  Unfortunately we were not allow to take photos of the quilts; copyright issues.   

 


I did take a photo of the machine room.  Sewing Machines, floor to ceiling on all four walls.

I did have some other purchases at the Merchant Mall that I forgot to share.  This is the cutest project roll.   Pin cushion on one end, a drawstring storage pouch on the other end.  I did manage some stitching while way. Christmas Rules which I started stitching at the Prim Retreat.
I bought this wrought iron easel for my kitchen.  Look at all the uses I have for it.  That’s me, I always like versatility in accessories.
I bought this little tree in Weaverville.    I think this is when I started to get that Christmas spirit flowing, or at least I got thinking about Christmas.


I also made progress on Winter Wonderland from the Primitive Hare.   All I had done before this trip was “onderland”.  I had great visions of completing both this and Christmas Rules by Christmas 2021 but let’s say more likely Christmas 2022.

Ok, thanks for bearing with me on my trip to North Carolina trip diary.   Thanks for stopping by and keep on stitching.  

6 comments:

  1. What lovely pictures of your trip again.
    All those lovely goodies .
    Have a wonderful Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all of the pics, thanks for sharing.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Day 9 sounded great especially since I am familiar with several of the places you mentioned. I haven't been to the new location for Cross Stitch Station yet; thanks for the reminder they have moved. Isn't Patchwork Plus incredible? Did you walk through the 'market' in front of it? I am hoping to get to the quilt museum sometime in 2022. Thanks for sharing about your adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are definitely packing a lot in to your trip. Both shops sound wonderful. I like the menu cups too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel like I got to go along on the trip! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for taking me along on this wonderful trip.
    Just great pics of everything.
    All of this and a retreat too.
    You sure know how to use every minute of your time.
    Now to rest up for Christmas.
    Have a great weekend.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete

Thanks is much for stopping by. I so enjoy your comments even if I do not always reply. Have a great day that hopefully includes a bit of stitching.