May 24, 2022

I’m ready to bust into June!



Cake was enjoyed by all!



It has been a busy April and May for me.   Lots of babysitting time.   William's birthday party.  Yard work.  My Guild Anniversary event.   June is looking very low keyed with an empty calendar....so far.    I look forward to quiet, warm afternoons and evenings on my deck.......but that can change in a heartbeat.  Yes, I laugh out loud as I type this. 

Talk about warm….last weekend 99 degrees and today, I’ve got on sweats and a long sleeve tee.  And the 99 degree day is the one i CHOOSE to work in the yard.

I finally caught up and have kept up on the i-Stitch Band Sampler.   So easy to keep up but also can so quickly fall behind.  This week’s assignment is not yet complete but it is not yet Friday! 






I have also been working to get current on my DVHSG SAL.   I'm getting there.  We are all really enjoying this year-long project.  It is called a Garden of Stitches by Samplers Not Forgotten.  I hit a stumbling block with the rice stitch and put this aside for about 6 weeks.   My problem was the foundation stitches I put in over 5 rather than the called for over 6.   Once I found my error, it was clear sailing.  I am alternating between this and the i-Stitch Band until I get back on schedule. 

I had a wool appliqué class at my EGA meeting.  Always fun to do something a little different.  The teacher gave us this technique to sew the stem and make the wool 'roll' to give it dimension.....mine not so much.   I decided my tulip was hit by a late frost and that is why he is a bit wonky.






My grand-daughter got her first sewing lesson.  She would giggle that contagious toddler giggle as I pulled the thread through and it disappeared.


My guild celebrated it's 20th Anniversary albeit two years late.  In typical Robin fashion I was involved behind the scenes with the event.  It turned out great.  We have fabulous classes, great goody bags, fantastic raffle items, good food and a great time seeing everyone in person again.   Although it was somewhat local, I indulged and got a room for the weekend.   Such a great way to chill after the hub bub of preparations.  Everyone on the Anniversary Committee did a great job as far as I am concerned and our speakers, from the Founder of the Guild to our Guild Historian, were phenominal.  Some us went to Winterthur on Thursday; then there was tours at Westtown School and the Chester County History Center on Friday.  It was a great weekend all around.

Our teacher was Vickie LoPiccolo Jennett from Needlework Press.    The classes and projects are great and I can't wait to start stitching on them.....that is once I am totally back on track with my SAL's.   We started with making this book on Saturday and have the chart to stitch the front cover pieces.    

This sampler chart is so sweet.   It is on the smaller side which translates completely doable and the colors are bright and cheerful.   I do plan to stitch it to complement the drum, book, tray and fob.



 

All the necessary fibers and fabrics and finishing needs were included as well as the wooden tray for the chart above.  The tray lining is to be stitched on perforated paper and I am considering stitching on linen instead.

 

One member made these snap-trays for each of our goody bags.   Thank you Susan!  This has not left my stitching side since the event.  I just un-snap the corners and pop it in my project bag to take it with me.  It really helps me control the 'sprawl'.

I finally had some days at home that were not spent dealing with Guild or EGA stuff, so I got my flowers and veggies to get planted.   It was more than a tiny bit of time cleaning out  needed for both the herb and veggie gardens.   But there is now a check mark on the to-do list for these two tasks.  My son also spent the day helping me completely empty my shed to clean, sort and purge it.   I can't believe the amount of room I have in there now!

I have signed up for a Shaker Retreat in Enfield New Hampshire in November.    We are adding a few days on the front end and plan hit some museums, shops and sites on the way up.  With the Anniversary behind us, I need to start plotting out our trip and stops along the way.  I am sure it will be a full trip reminiscent of our Asheville Trip with days filled with a whirlwind of sight seeing along the way up and back!   Vanderbilt Mansion, Hyde Park,  there's a wool store and Sturbridge Village, and Waldens Pond and ....well you get the idea.

And I keep forgetting to share this Consignment Store find.   I have been looking for quite some time for a tomato salt and pepper shaker set.   I didn’t want the set for the ‘normal’ use.   I want to use the tomato for broken/old needles.   Now before you start thinking, oh that Robin is so clever…..It is not an original idea. I saw it on a FlossTube or a Blog but don’t remember where.    


Thanks for stopping by.   Keep safe and keep on stitching……

7 comments:

  1. Looks like you have been busy! There’s a cross stitch store in Hyde Park NY too! Nice owner, small shop, but she has a lot of charts,threads and fabrics! There’s also a five and ten type store in Rhinebeck NY just north of Hyde Park. I hear it’s a throw back to the 1969’s. I’m heading up there next month. It’s called Al Stickle Five and dime store.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely family photos .
    Your stitching is beautiful .
    Enjoy your week,

    ReplyDelete
  3. The kids are too cute eating cake.
    Great projects.
    I'm glad things are opening up now.
    Love that mater shaker.
    I think Kitten Stitcher talked about that on 1 of her flosstubes.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have certainly had a busy, productive and fun month of May, Robin. Your SAL pieces are looking good. Enjoy the rest of the month!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another busy month coming to an end.
    Great pics of everything.
    Do I hear Willie Nelson in the background,
    On the road again? Great time to be in New England.
    Those two kids are just precious!
    Love that tomato, great find.
    Have a great weekend.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a busy, but fun time for you, Robin! Isn't this PA weather crazy? I still have the flannel sheets on the bed as it is still so chilly at night--sure doesn't seem like the end of May! Beautiful stitching and the grandkids are darling--how can they be that big already?! Enjoy your Memorial Day weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ENJOY THE HOILDAY WEEKEND. I hope you don’t have a lot planned. Love the tomato shaker. I am going to be on the lookout for something cute for the same purpose.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks is much for stopping by. I so enjoy your comments even if I do not always reply. Have a great day that hopefully includes a bit of stitching.