July 25, 2022

July Fun

Hot hot hot it has been here in the mid-Atlantic. This last week I have done little outside but the pool and my yard shows great documentation of that.   A bit of weeding and deadheading needed but it will have to wait.  As will the analyzation of the annoying Lantern Flies that seem to be everywhere. 

I had an invite to go for a long weekend in Pittsford, NY which just happens to be where Hobby House Needleworks is location.  There was a class at Hobby House the weekend we went.   A friend and I were not signed up for the class but a group of our friends were.   They had rented a large Air B & B and had room for us to crash with them for the weekend.    Always great fun being with members of your tribe.




On the ride up, we stopped at the Salt Museum in Liverpool just outside of Syracuse.  It was a self guide tour on Lake Onondaga.    It was a great place to stop, stretch our legs and take a walk around for an hour to spell us from the drive.   The local lore is that this Salt mining enterprise was instrumental in winning the Civil War......"the Union didn't defeat the South, we did by not providing them salt....."  It was a 5 1/2 - 6 hour drive and I was able to stitch quite a good little section on my hexagon quilt - pix next time.
Lake Onondaga

Life size display of the salt process.  Taking
water from the lake and boiling the water off
leaving the salt crystals.


We also stopped in Canadaqua, NY at Expressions in Needleart.   Another town filled with wonderful large homes and a bustling little main street.  The shop was well stocked and the owner was super nice.  If it were my local LNS, I wouldn’t be unhappy.



Now on to the town of Pittsford, NY.   What a charming area north of the Finger Lakes on the Erie Canal.   The houses were so adorable and the town so full of Victorian mansions and well kept yards.   Bunting was draped on more houses than not.   Great restaurants, great shops.   

Because I  had a trip  to Hobby House Needleworks in Pittsford NY and of course.....it was necessary to buy 'souvenirs' for my stash.  Both the needlework store and the wool shop were awesome.   The staff and owners were beyond nice and over and above helpful.   It was really like we were dealing with not only knowledgeable people but with long lost friends of the same mind!   


We went to the George Eastman Museum in Rochester, NY.  Built in 1905, what a beautiful house.   I learned the the work “Kodak”, which Eastman used to name his cameras and film, was nothing more than a made up word.   He wanted something easy to pronounce, something that would not be close to referring to anything else, something easy to spell.... so he made it up.  Eastman was a great philanthropist, having no wife or children, he donated his fortune to Rochester Institute Technology, MIT, Tuskegee University and Hampton University and other innumerable charitable causes.   He was a pioneer is work force benefits offering employees health insurance, disability, sick time, and more.   Upon his death, his entire estate was given to the University of Rochester.   

His house was gorgeous.     He built the house for his mother and himself.  Unfortunately his mother died only after living there two years.
Front Entrance


West Garden



Rock Garden at rear of property

The Dining Room Look at that work on the ceiling!

The Conservatory.    I would not have a problem sitting in this room with my stitching and a cup of coffee.  Or even in the evening with a glass of wine.

Well maybe the elephant over my shoulder could be troublesome.






Wood work detail everywhere was intricate and beautiful

The Billiard Room





Beautiful hand carved chest gifted to Eastman from a Russian Czar
for Eastman's advances in photography.


The Eastman Library


The Front Stairway


The ornate balusters 


From the landing above, a beautiful view of the Conservatory



The Living Room


Mrs. Eastman's Room


I don't believe this sampler was old but a sampler on the wall always catches my eye.

The home, while not as large as say Biltmore or others built in the late 1900th century, it was open and airy and was created for class and for comfort.   It was a different kind of opulence.  Can you imagine, Mr. Eastman has a central vac system installed when he built the home in 1905.  


Camera used on the lunar orbitor.


Now on to my Hobby House purchases.  I didn’t go too overboard with purchases but….. I have been in love with the Red Bird Sampler from Brenda Gervais for awhile so pattern, fabric and floss were obtained.   I really like the Quaker Christmas designed by Hobby House shop owner Kathy.  I also have wanted Theresa Venette's Red Sampler Book so that was added to the basket along with some nice white linen.  And you know we went to the shop three times and each time I felt I had to buy.   Having seen a presentation on Bristol Samplers from Claudia Dutcher, I picked up Erica Michael’s Bristol Sampler and Strawberries.   


   

On our last day, we spent the morning at Ontario’s Beach in Charlotte, NY.   A beautiful public park.  We walked the pier and sat on the beach.   Toes went into Lake Ontario but that water was COLD!   


From the pier


The sand, not so nice.   Ground shells.   I don't know how anyone walked without flip-flops.

1822 Lighthouse at the entrance to the Genesee River off Lake Ontario.

I've never seen such purple flowers on hostas.


So on to what I have been doing stitching-wise outside of galavanting to upstate New York.......  I managed to accomplish a mere 53 days without making a craft purchase and then......I got into a(another) quilt challenge with my sister and needed 7 one-yard coordinates.    Oy!  If not with these, surly would have been broken at Hobby House.  

I found these 30 fat quarters (7 and 1/2 yards) of retro fabrics on Etsy.  The project is from Gnome Angel in Australia and is 100 blocks in 100 days.  (surely you know I am laughing at myself because in reality this is just another start that may never be finished.    I don't know why I have such gusto at the start of a project and then.........is crash and burn on the interest)  



Our June EGA meeting was a blackwork patriotic piece.   Me in my infinite wisdom (not) to change things up decided I would stitch the pattern over one instead of as charts.  Well, I should know by now that designers know so much more than me.   I plan to stitch it a second time and at least I will be able to end up with an ornament as well as a piece large enough to frame or to make into a pillow.
  

For the i-Stitch Band Sampler, we are closing in on the end.  I have week 28 to do, and to print out Week 29 from last Friday and then print out the final week this upcoming Friday.   I may catch up, there are still 3 1/2 stitching days until Week 30 is published.

I helped teach a Christmas in July Class for EGA.   Look at these no-sew beauties stitchers were able to walk out with completed, or nearly completed.   No sewing, just a lot of folding and a ton of straight pins.

On to August!

Thanks for stopping by, keep smiling, keep safe and keep on stitching!



7 comments:

  1. Wow what a post , looks like you have been busy ,
    Great photos and lovely needle work goodies .
    Enjoy all .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it looked you had a fabulous July! Thank you for sharing your adventure to New York and Hobby House Needleworks. Enjoyed the pictures from your visit to the Eastman house. You picked up a wonderful assortment of goodies to add to you stash. Love the folded ornaments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks by the pictures that you had a fun time!
    Would love to go to Hobby House!
    That Kodak house though! Amazingingly beautiful.
    Love those ornaments.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robin, a great jam packed post! I'm jealous of your trip to NY; Hobby House is on my bucket list. I will have to get your tips and suggestions if I ever make it! :) The Eastman house and entire area looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well the Eastman house was outstanding. The DuPonts had nothing on him. Jealousy of you going to Hobby House, but my Credit Card and husband Thank You!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well another fabulous month in the books.
    What a great trip.
    Great pics of everything, travel and stitching.
    Hundred blocks, Hundred days, you go girl.
    Can't wait to see what August brings.
    Have a great week.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photos! I really like Quaker Christmas, and the colors in that band sampler. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks is much for stopping by. I so enjoy your comments even if I do not always reply. Have a great day that hopefully includes a bit of stitching.