January 9, 2023

Reading

Reading takes me away.   I can be in Bali while snuggled on the couch in pj’s with a cuppa, or just as easily be in Paris in 1940.  Reading historical fiction makes me appreciate all I have to be grateful for.   To see how far we have progressed albeit I feel sometimes the old ways were better.

I use the Goodreads Ap to keep track of MY personal challenge as well as a place to keep a list of books I have read and want to read.....just like patterns, I've downloaded the same book more than once.    My challenge for 2022 was 26 books.    I didn't want to set the bar too high and feel defeated if I didn't meet the challenge.   Well, I doubled it.    I read, or listened to, 52 books in 2023.    I am not trying to shame others with my number.  It is MY challenge to myself.   I read at mealtime, I listen while stitching; I just have a lot of alone time to fill.  Some do not agree that audio books should count but having to take some long car drives by myself, audio books have become my friends.   Not only when driving, but doing hours of yard work in the spring and summer, I pop those air pods in and I off to the beach in Nantucket, or walking through the pre-revolutionary colonies.

I read almost exclusively off my iPad.   When I got my first Kindle about 10 years ago it took about a minute to get used to that versus a physical book and I have not looked back.   For me, I love the portability of taking the iPad versus a big old book as well as, oops! I finished and viola a quick download of the next book in an instant.  

I think this year was a fluke as for the number so I am bravely setting my 2023 challenge at 36!

My Statistics for 2022

52 books read

18,393 pages

Shortest book - 13 pages (??)

Longest book - 973 pages

Average book length - 353 pages

Most shelved book - Of Mice and Men

Least shelved book - The Jade Dragon


Some of my favorites from 2022

The Girls in the Stilt House by Kelly Mustian

Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah

The Escape by David Baldacci

Night Road by Kristin Hannah

The Henna Artist by Alka Joshi

My Name is Resolute by Nancy Turner

The Blue Bistro by Elin Hilderbrand

Next Year in Havana by Channel Cleeton

Cider House Rules by John Irving  

Mississippi Blood  by Greg Iles

5 comments:

  1. Congrats on reading more than you predicted!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to read and you will usually find me with a book in hand during the mid-evening reading. I was the one who had their nose in a book at recess time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done, Robin! I too listen to books when traveling in the car, though when I'm with my hubby, it tends to be podcasts. I have not been reading as much as I used to and need to get out of this slump. I've become more of a TV girl...so easy to do while stitching, but listening to books is just as easy! i just tend to have to keep rewinding as my mind wanders while listening. I'll have to work on this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have tinnitus so I fall asleep every night listening to a book to mask the sound. Currently halfway through a 4-book series on the Plantagenets and almost finished with Charles Spencer's The White Ship.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well you are ahead of me by fifty books. I just don't read like I used to.
    Have a great weekend.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete

Thanks is much for stopping by. I so enjoy your comments even if I do not always reply. Have a great day that hopefully includes a bit of stitching.