October 11, 2023

Ups and Downs, Part 2

Now for the retreat, a definite Thumbs Up!  The retreat was the Primitive NeedleArts Primer put on by Hobby House and Lisa K. of Prims on Greenway.  I had met Lisa previously at retreats in Memphis and Asheville and I knew anything she was involved in would be great.   She did not disappoint.

This is our swag basket!   Two thumbs up!  A beautiful Amish made basket that anyone would be thrilled to have.   And it was filled with goodies.   Personalized name tag, two different Make-it/Take-it kits -(one a notebook and the other a needlebook), a complete kit from Stacy Nash, a pin pillow with scissors and more.   

Finished sample of the needlebook
Oh I do wish I had taken a picture of the table-scaping in the stitching room.   Lisa K. had made flowers out of prim fabrics and twigs.  Each table had, as a centerpiece, a mason jar filled with chocolates that surrounded the flower stems.    Each was decorated with a prim bow and a card with a needle.   They were set atop vintage embroidered dresser scarves that had vintage buttons laid across them.  She had taped a penny to the bottom of one of the chairs and the person seated there got the centerpiece at the end of the retreat.   It is that attention to the little things that makes Lisa K. so special.

I did manage this photo of the fountain out front.

I took these one morning when I needed a break from sitting all hunched over the table for so long.




Oh, and I promise I had nothing to do with this.  Alarms went off, we were all evacuated and fire trucks arrived and the fireman were in the building.   Not once, but twice.  I never did hear what the problem was.  

My first class was with Beth Seal of Summer House.  Always a treat.  We got this sweet fall sampler all kitted up and made the strawberries filled with emory during the class.  I am really finding a lot of small samplers I like.   Probably because they seem doable in my lifetime!


Don’t you just love when the designer adds a ‘legend’ tag with names and symbols for the chart to your floss ring?

Beth’s samples

My next class was not originally on my schedule but I am so very glad I checked for openings.   It was with Lianne van Leyen  of 1897 Schoolhouse Designs.   OMGosh!!!   This was the most enlightening, motivational, stitch worthy, positive class ever.   We did not stitch one stitch, rather Lianne, an awesome public speaker, took us down a trail of her stories, our stories, introspective ideas, and a knowledge about the samplers she brought to share.  Share?   Well I am still amazed at what she did.   She had a collection of at least a dozen, unframed, unmounted, just kind-of-there-samplers that she passed around for us to touch, turn over, look at under magnification.  Some were over 200 years old.  All the while she was speaking and telling us things to notice and look for when a particular samplers came our way.  Some had to be recirculated a time or two because as she spoke and we become more knowledgable at what we were looking for, needed a second look.     A really up close and personal interaction with samplers.
 And of course, Lianne was in her period costume which added to the experience. 


She provided us with this free chart as well.   No color key provided.  Up to the stitcher to decide the color ways.   Always interesting to see the different interpretations.
Original above; idea on how to change below.

This is one of the samplers she passed around for us to examine.
Front and back of Emma Kerridge sampler


Here are samples of the reverse glass painting.   It was supposed to be part of our class but there was an issue with using the paints (actually India Ink) in the conference rooms.   Besides, Lianne talked for over 3 hours.   There would have been no time for doing this!





Above is the kitted sampler from the class and below is a leaflet on reverse painting that Lianne discussed.


My third class was with Maggie Bonanomi.   We got a lovely fall piece and learned a trick or two along the way.   Once everything is cut out, I think this will be a quick piece to stitch up.

Can you believe this is all I bought?   I recently saw Sarah Fletcher 1841 finished and was taken by her colors and her size.    I got the Prim Pillows pattern from Under the Woolen Willow at the merchandise mall.   Lastly, the Asenath Ferre’s Sampler was a purchase from the Ontario County Historic Society.   You know how it is when you go into a store and feel like you have to buy something?   I was intrigued by the spacing and the style of the letters at the top not to mention the small size.

This is the first time I neglected to take actual retreat pictures of the merchandise tables, the retreat room itself and only a few of the venue.    It must have been being caught up seeing friends that you only see at these retreats.  Or quite possibly too much enjoying the chatting in the evenings. 

 Or hanging with friends on another night.

  Funny story here.  So you know the people you follow on Instagram all year.   I have followed someone on InstaGram and she has followed me back for several years.   Well you know that we often don’t have our names out there but rather a ‘handle’ to go back to CB radio days….oh I do digress with that one!    Anyway, it wasn’t until I saw this BoonsBoro person post something and I was like, hmm, girl at my table it stitching that, hmm, she has the same stitching mat, hmm…..OMGosh, BoonsBoro is my friend Lisa that I only see once, or twice if I am lucky, a year.   She knew who I was on IG but I didn’t know it was her.   OMGosh!  Things like this make me feel like I am one step closer to being locked up for my own protection.  


I took the Red Bird Sampler with me to work on and I think I put in 12 stitches.  This should have been done weeks ago.   I just haven’t been stitching much.   Lucky for me that my October WIPGO is to work on a WIP and worked on a class piece.    

So a big thumbs down and thumbs up at the same time.  Let me back up a little.  Before I drove to NY, I got my oil changed, tires rotated, etc.  The Service Desk Rep came out and said I am not sure why your car is not done, I’m going to track down your technician.  Out she comes and says the car is on the lift and he is working on the alignment.   Another 45 minutes pass and she says she is going to go ask again.   When I see her again she has a handful of paperwork so I think I am done.  When she starts with, we are getting a loaner car ready for you, I didn’t know what to expect.    Turns out something on my rear axle, not the axle itself, was broken and they wouldn’t even let me drive it home.   They said I probably hit a bad pothole and snapped the part.   Just ask Mr. W.,  he says I aim for pot holes.   Oh boy, something I didn’t expect.  What are you going to do?   We need our cars.  The occasional repair cost is better than a car payment.    Thank goodness the technician was diligent.   I am just glad I went to the dealership and not Jiffy Lube.   Nothing bad on Jiffy Lube but I would not have had my tires rotated and re-aligned and the missing/broken piece would not have been found.  Yeah Subaru!  I am on the road too much and I need to feel safe in my car!

I have managed to be outside and prune and tidy up the yard a little more for the winter.   I’ve been able to enjoy a few lunches at the picnic table.   Trust me, I am well aware I find things to do in the yard as an excuse to be outside all day.   Upside, I am loving it; downside, less stitching time.  

One more Up and Down Update for my trip to Corning Glass Museum on the return trip……not sure when I will get it posted.   So many pictures to choose from.

In the meantime, thanks for stopping by and keep on stitching…..I sure hope to find some stitchy time this afternoon after cleaning and laundry!


6 comments:

  1. What a great retreat! And glad the car got fixed!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Robin: The class's you took are great class's, you are so lucky to have been able to take them, free chart from Lianne how lucky you are, the color fabric in that bright orange is beautiful.
    It would be a treat to see so many Samplers, she is so kind to let you touch and examine them, I am a bit jealous.
    It is a good mechanic that caught the break in your axle area.

    Have a wonderful day.
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terri - You and me both on the car repairs! Dodged a bullet there. It really was a treat and a great weekend. Robin in NJ

      Delete
    2. Catherine - Yes, the classes were great and I know how lucky I am to be able to do these things. So many samplers and so little time! Robin in NJ

      Delete
  3. That looks like an amazing time with great projects.
    How neat that you got to handle & examine the old Samplers.
    Thanks for sharing all of the pics.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad your car issues were resolved. It sounded (and looked) like you had an incredible retreat, Robin. What a precious little sampler! Loved reading your story about Lisa/Boonsboro lady.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks is much for stopping by. I so enjoy your comments even if I do not always reply. Have a great day that hopefully includes a bit of stitching.