June 24, 2024

Traveling to Ohio, Part 1

The first of the month I was in the car and headed west.   And as you know, I go kind of picture heavy with my escapades and travels so you get a two-parter this month.  Destination Cincinnati, but not to Stitch Con.   My table mates and I from the Quilter’s Station Retreat in Kansas City last September planned a long weekend together with Cincinnati being about halfway for all of us.  

Before my trip, I decided to make a little gift to exchange.  These were super easy.  I ordered the ‘pendants’ from Etsy, got out my  Ultimate Sampler Motif Book, picked an alphabet and stitched everyone’s initial.   Stitched up in no time and put together in no time.   It was fun to do and I would do it again.   They can be used as a scissors fob or to attach to a zip pull on a project bag.   


The trip started with lots of fun and shopping as Vicki and I took two days to get to Cindy.     Our first stop was Canton, Ohio and no, we went no where near the Football Hall of Fame.     When I travel, whether with Stacy or Vicki, it all about the stops.   Stacy’s are more educational and Vicki’s are more shopping.  But both work for me.  

While we were driving across Pennsylvania, Vicki referred to herself as being built like a ‘fireplug’, mainly based on her being height challenged.    So I sat there in the passenger seat and thought, how would I describe myself……almost instantly I came up with I was shaped like the Momma Nesting Doll.   We laughed and that was that.    Arriving in Canton, Ohio, we came upon this sign…

Of course we had to go in.  Oh my goodness!   Somehow, with no planning, we found the nesting doll capital of the world or maybe at least,  their  secret headquarters.   IDK.   But I never saw so many nesting dolls in one place.   Thousands, truly.

Trust me, this is only a fraction of what they had.   This place had many rooms and every time we turned a corner we busted out laughing at MORE nesting dolls.  And no duplicates.    I wish I had snapped a photo of one of the current presidential candidates set of dolls.  

Irish


Snowmen


Halloween

Some for pet lovers


Land of my people!

And books about nesting dolls as well.


No worries, none came home with me!  Actually we did very little purchasing at any of the consignment stores we visited…..on the way out that is.

We visited Little Creek Needlework in Canton, Ohio and what an adorable store with a lovely owner, Pat.   Anyone in the area has a great LNS in Little Creek.  Poor Pat had laryngitis when we visited but that did not diminish her customer service or smile.    We happened to be there on their Thursday stitching day.  As  I shopped and I heard the ladies talking about email they received and I have just received the same one.    I interrupted them and found out we were all members of Western Reserve Sampler Guild of Parma, Ohio.  I am not that quick to think and should have taken a selfie with these lovely ladies. 

I bought this 40 count linen at Little Creek.   I am going to ‘attempt’ 40 count.  Stitchy friends tell me I can do it; we shall see.  One of them will be used for Heaven and Nature Sing by Kathy Barrick.   I have started and stopped that piece at least twice, not liking the fabric I was working on either time.   It is on my radar now.  




Here’s the house.  Let me tell you, we got our exercise with all those steps.  

It was worth the climb up four flights to my room.    Look at that view.






We did visit Keepsakes while we were there!   
  By luck, I found my friend Stasi’s car in the parking long.  She and Lisa were attending Stitch Cons
The Stitchy Bus was there when we were.  


And here we all are on the front porch at Keepsakes.  

Ok, there is much more to share but if I keep waiting until I get it all added and edited it may never get posted.   So there you have, Part 1.    

Thanks for stopping by and keep on stitching.



6 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like an amazing time.
    Love all of the nesting dolls.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like an incredible time, Robin. What a cool house you all stayed in! Looking forward to reading part 2!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun , you all seem very happy , have a great time , hugs June.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you had a better time than going to Stitch Con.
    Great pictures, you all look like you're having a great time.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  6. Finally catching up with your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks is much for stopping by. I so enjoy your comments even if I do not always reply. Have a great day that hopefully includes a bit of stitching.