October 25, 2014

I JUST HAVE TO GET THIS OFF MY CHEST!

And I know I am not alone in this........

You know those irritating telemarketing calls for donations to charities........the ones my husband doesn't answer?   But, not answering means they just continue to call and load up my mailbox.  So, yes, it is my choice to answer.  

My approach used to be to answer, listen to their spiel, and tell them either I am not able to give at this time and/or to remove me from the list.    Part of me sympathizes that this is just some yahoos job to sit in and make these calls and that other part of my is afraid of karma if I say I am blind and cannot read the magazines, letters, papers, or whatever they say they will send me.

And why do they waste so much money  on these mailings and not put it into the charity is my thought?

LA at work gave me an even better idea.   I now let the caller go through their script and right when they ask...."Mrs. Thompson can we count on you again this year?" - which would indicate that in an alternate universe I had donated to them in the past and they didn't get my name off an mailing list which is exactly what they did...  I ask - "Please tell me the percentage of my donation that goes to the charity and what percentage goes elsewhere?"    More often then not, the caller hangs up.  If they don't and remain on the line to answer I believe they must be governed by some FCC rule to answer truthfully.  And you would be amazed at the percentages.

I just got a call from Fire Burn Victims of South Jersey.   They sound all official but......you need to listen to what they call themselves.   Adding "Cancer", "Fire or Police", "Children's" to their name does not make them worthy of my or your money.   Today's answer to my question about percentages was 11% goes to the actual charity.  So to verify, I said "if I give you $100, only $11 goes to the Fire Burn Victims".   "Yes", the operator said.....to which I replied...."I prefer to give directly to my local fire department!"   Click!!   Shame on them!   Using all this jargon about recovery, therapy, help for lodging for the family, blah, blah, blah to make me visualize this poor family in this horrible situation.  I don't know how far they can go on 11% of each donation!

What I can tell you is that I am not getting repeat calls and overall I am getting fewer and fewer calls. I definitely prefer to donate my money where it has the better value.  So speak up and ask the caller the percentage.  You will be horrified!

OK, I am better now.   I was just so mad and had to get this off my chest!  Thanks for letting me rant.

5 comments:

  1. thanks for the advise on how to deal with these losers. I usually get called just when we are sitting down to eat supper and I hate cold food especially when I just made it. I will ask them for percentages next time and see what they have to say for themselves. hugs and love Lynda Ruth you enjoy the rest of your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is shocking. I wonder where they get your number from? Could you go x-directory? Would that help. I am always saying no. I always give money to one specific charity or two; I just cant afford to give to all of them and like you, I like to know where my money is going to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a lot of talk about being a smart consumer...you are being a smart donor. After all, you want to get as much mileage out of your dollar, no matter where you choose to spend it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you! I will have to pass that question to ask on to my husband for when they call. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

    Robin in Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  5. The mailings from St Jude's get me the most. Stuffed with return address labels.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks is much for stopping by. I so enjoy your comments even if I do not always reply. Have a great day that hopefully includes a bit of stitching.