May 21, 2010

Questions and Answers

Meari wanted to know what the pattern was that I picked up at Salty Yarns last weekend that was pink and green on the cover.     Well here is it. Photos are clickable for a larger view.   (Sorry, I am photo challenged! Sometimes they automatically turn to the correct orientation and other times, like now, they don't!) It is a Sue Hillis booklet on stitching the lining and smalls for the Whitman Sampler Tin.  Even though these are sideways, you can still see the detailed instructions and this is only some of them.  I was really impressed with Sue's detail and color photos of the finishing.  That is what sold me on the book.  Finishing is where I need some lessons. 

Next, for Julie M. my framing issue.   I don't know if that shows how untrue the edges are.   I have taken my items to the locals Farmer's Market for years paying 1/3 to 1/2 what they charge at the chain stores even with a coupon.  Here are some more photos with the help of my Omnigrid lucite ruler.     Each horizontal line with the hash marks is one inch apart.   You can see over the space of 2 inches it 'moves' about an 1/16 of an inch.   No big deal some may say.......it gets worse.....'moving' over a 1/4 inch over 4 inches.    I expected to get home tonight and have a voicemail from the framer but nothing.   I need to put on my 'don't mess with me' face and pop on in to the store tomorrow.    Part of me is just easy-going and kind of like  ...it adds character......but another part is  screaming you didn't get what you paid for.   We shall see what the morning brings.....for now relaxation with needle and thread and my Blue Ribbon Design piece!

6 comments:

  1. I know how disappointing that can be. Actually in thinking back 2 years ago, I did the Quaker Christmas one and didn't realize how off it was from a professional framer shop until I hung it up to show it at work.
    I could really see it then.
    Hope you get that worked out so you can be at peace with it. I think they should be able to redo it.....

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great book! I like books with extremely detailed instructions. I find it hard to follow unless I can see every single step.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robin,

    If your framer doesn't help, you can always pop up to Jennersville and I can help you out. I have the framing supplies. You could even visit the Dansko outlet for shoes while you are here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I can see now the outside edge isn't even straight. Sometimes, when stretching, you can get the outside straight but the inside is all wobbly and the the framer has to make a judgement call on what should be straight. But in your case, nothing is straight and it should be redone. In our shop it wouldn't have left the store that way. I have had things that I couldn't get straight no matter what I did, usually in the case of large areas of solid stitching where the stitcher doesn't use even tension but if that is the case I make sure to point it out to them and gently discuss how they can improve their technique. I'm sorry you have to deal with this. If you feel like making the trip to Nebraska, I'd be happy to help you out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about your framing issue & hope things can be made right! I love you new chart choices and I have those on my wish list. I picked up the tin but so far have resisted buying the chart. I was surfing and shopping at down sunshine lane earlier today. After spending 20 more then expected I just had to check out before these lovelies landed in my cart too. Hope to be inspired by your finishes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks is much for stopping by. I so enjoy your comments even if I do not always reply. Have a great day that hopefully includes a bit of stitching.