December 23, 2018

Happy Holidays

Well I am finally able to stop to squeeze in a blog post.  On top of the normal heavy workload I have been covering for a girl out for surgery and an extended leave, I am training two people and have had the supervisory responsibilities expand to eight.    It has been exhausting with non-stop 10 hour days.   The most stress comes from the back-log of my work that is accumulating.  Add that to the holiday stress of shopping and decorating and house parties.  Although I am tapped out I have been able keep up with the bare minimum at home but I can tell you thoughts of delaying retirement are waning.   I am tapped out.   But after leaving work on Friday, I am now off until after the first of the year.......a well deserved rest which I plan to make the most of.    But enough......

I finally finished the last of the decorating yesterday morning and then started with wrapping.   My saving grace is that I won't see my son and his family until the 29th.   

As for decorations, I didn't put up as much as I have in the past and what I did  put out, I changed up a bit.  Take this corner of my kitchen......I put my snowman baker in a a red ceramic pie plate, added greens and a little wrapped package. I like it better than just plopping him down.  Got some ideas from staging from watching Priscilla! 


I added a metal cardinal for my brother to the top of my package display on the front steps.

My living room shelf is filled with holiday stitching and bits of greens and holiday things.
Not a original idea.   I copied how designer Patty Yergey of Samplers Revisited displays her samplers in office.

A table top of Santa's




I love my Lefton ware.  The relish is under the creamer and sugar is new this year.   A gift from a friend.  I need to get back into some consignment shopping and see if I can score some new pieces.



Another Priscilla idea.   I put this miniature tree on a cake stand, using a gingham trimmed tea towel and added smaller wrapped packages.

 A setting of Byer's Dolls

All kinds of bits and bobs added to the shelves of my china closet.






 A second setting of Byer's Dolls.

My hoosier in the kitchen.

My kitchen Christmas Tree and the wooden angel from my brother's house.




 Greens and sparkling things on top of the Hoosier.






 My mantle display.  Of all the places for Buddy to decide to lay.....
 He doesn't look too happy that I woke him up.....well I'm not happy he keeps knocking over the blocks.


And now for stitching.   One thing that has helped me stay sane through the overtime is carving out 20 minutes or so at lunch each day to stitch.    Usually when I have this bouts of overtime, I get angry and snap when I can't do the things I want to.   Stealing a few minutes each day at lunch time it helping me stay sane.   Stitching really is therapy.
 Above, is one of the block party series from Hands On Design....this one is called Mend.
 I love Kathy's designs and this was a really quick stitch start to finish.

My current work is progress is another Hands On Design piece.    A limited edition collection of smalls and the box as part of a exclusive set from Hands On Design and Elegant Stitch.

 I fell in love with the colors which are not showing as nicely with this cell phone photo.   It is an easy, fast stitch and my EGA monthly challenge piece.  No guarantees I will be finished by next meeting by here's hoping!

Well thanks for stopping by and indulging my Christmas Tour.    Merry Christmas to all and a bright and shiny new year to each and everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks is much for stopping by. I so enjoy your comments even if I do not always reply. Have a great day that hopefully includes a bit of stitching.