September 7, 2019

Ankle Bone is Connected to the Leg Bone

Well look at my lap all snuggled under an afghan a friend crocheted.   This can only mean two things......next time I need to make sure I have on socks so my unmanicured tootsies don't peak out and we are having some glorious cool weather as we transition into fall.  My friend Carol is moving to Florida and won't need this cozy throw so I confiscated it to think of her every time I use it.  


Really enjoying the crispness of the early morning air.  



I have discovered my yard again!   yeah!   Last week I put in an hour to an hour and a half each night after work.   And although I find my needlework so meditative, there is nothing that compares to your hands in the dirt.   I have thought I lost my yard mojo and some other mojo along the way and that little bit of time grounded me (hardy har har).  I do so enjoy working in the garden and I am glad that it still part of my heart and soul.  I have plans to very shortly be popping outside to trim up some shrubs and freshen up a bed I have neglected with some much needed mulch.  

Last week I did take the time to rearrange my gnome garden and move it to around my pond.   I got rid of a lot of the not so gnome-like pieces.  It needs some more work. I think growing up building forts and climbing trees I missed the playing with dolls stage so I digress.




 Coffee this morning outside and loving the look of early morning on the pool.   This is a view I won't have much longer.   The water temp has dropped below 70 degrees and I know the cover will be on in the next week and it will be closed until next year.   I think the pool cover going on really means the end of summer for me.   (sad face)







And then there is how one thing leads to another.....I have a major reno on the horizon.   A cosmetic update has turned into a major project.  What started as let's upgrade the upstairs toilet has led to a total gut job of two bathrooms.   The 63 year old cast iron pipes need to be replaced as they have deteriorated to the point they could crumble.....in five months, five weeks or five minutes.    Simple, right?   Not when the pipes are hidden behind bead board that is covering  63 year ceramic tile embedded in wire mess and concrete.   Looks like we will have a Spot-a-pot in our yard for a week or so.   Good for me that we have a locker room at work because that is where I will be showering.   I spent yesterday going to plumbing stores and showrooms for ideas and prices.  Mr. W. and I do not have the same aesthetic.   He doesn't like the floor I choose but I can make concessions to like what he picked floorwise but........   he liked the $8,500 shower surround that didn't include the faucets, the pan, the niches for shampoo or soap, the doors, the drain installation, delivery and who knows what other internal parts.   Oh and the bench inside the shower was also an extras $2K.   I will be dissuading him from that which looked like it should be in  Graceland and not my house.  Needless to say, I had the beginnings of a major headache after the 6 hours of shopping filled with technical gibberish of flow rates and whatever.   I didn't even want to stitch when I finally say down last night!  On the bright side, when I received the estimate last week by email and forwarded it to my husband, Mr. W. asked if I was OK with it and if it covered everything I wanted done.  Heck, once I got to the part that said the contractor would prime and paint with the homeowners choice of paint, I stopped.   I have always been the painter so that was a win for me.  We don't have a demo or start date but told the contractor we want this done by Thanksgiving.   Just got to get on his schedule now.  

Other news, Mr. W. has resigned from drum corp.   Of course I didn't believe him since he says he is done every year after returning home from 8 weeks on the road.  Then I was copied on the thank-you-for-your-service-email from the Executive Director.  Oh boy, next summer will be my first summer retired and me and Mr. W. get to spend it together.  After 20 summers of being home alone......oh my!  Trepidation!  I may retire upstairs to my craft room and have a whole lot of finishes! (at least I will have a new bathroom to use while I am up there.)

For stitching, I am really happy with my progress on my Santa.   The other girls are saying there is so much stitching on this......I don't think so.   His sweater was a breeze.  I think it worked up fast even with my mis-stitches.  Yes, it is a lot of rows of red for his coat but it is pretty mindless.   I have a couple of packages at his feet to do and then his arms.    I set a self-imposed deadline of September 25th and I will make it with time to spare!     Diane was the first of the group to finished hers and will be bringing up it from Tennessee in October.   I will be taking both of ours to a finisher in Lancaster.   I can't argue with the price I was quoted.   If we leave it to me Santa could sit in the UFO baskets for years.

That about wraps it up for me.   Today I plan to head out into the yard, tackle that neglected bed and just enjoy being outside.  I have a basket I am making up for MAR EGA Auction that I want to assemble this afternoon and I am planning to end the day with a fire in the fire pit, a glass of wine and a good book.   Not a bad forecast at all.

Until next time, keep on stitching.

5 comments:

  1. Your Santa progress is looking fabulous! You stitched him up quickly. I love the picture of your pool. It looks so restful. I hope you bathroom renovations go smoothly. Have an enjoyable weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We redid our master bath a couple of years ago, but only replaced the bathtub with a walk-in shower. I bought a pan with a built in bench, and we had the walls done with ceramic tile rather than a fiberglass surround. I love it. I hope you love yours as much when it's finished!
    Your gnome garden is very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta love that little Gnome Garden, and Santa is looking great!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the water feature. I think 'yard mojo' just didn't care for the heat and humidity this year. I think my stitching/quilting mojo was on vacation with your yard mojo. I know they will be back. It's been a brisk weekend here, but perfect for yard work. It was so nice to put on a long sleeve flannel shirt for a change.
    Santa looks great!
    Have a great week.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robin: Oh my what a task you are taking on but well worth the money and time, you will enjoy that bathroom I am sure, so sorry you have to replace the pipes.
    I am loving the Santa, what a sweet design.
    I love working outdoors with flowers and trees, its such a short summer here in Minnesota we try to be outdoors everyday.
    Have a beautiful week.

    Catherine
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete

Thanks is much for stopping by. I so enjoy your comments even if I do not always reply. Have a great day that hopefully includes a bit of stitching.