January 20, 2020

Let me try the Reader's Digest Version of January

OMG!  What a year already.

I retired on January 10th and on January 15th there was a big party for me at the Hilton.   Not one to like the limelight I do have to say it was one of my best days ever.   In addition to the nice things said, (a Resolution from the Board of Directors!),  the great food, the open bar and the tear in the eye of my boss who had to turn and walk away with a raised hand - awww - my three kids were there.   Their attendance was a well kept secret and was an ultimate high.   I was so proud as a mom that they came and so proud they got to hear all the nice things said.   Coming was no small feat - one flew in landing at 2 pm with a return flight at 9:15 pm back to Boston.   Another drove four hours, enjoyed the evening and drove four hours home.   So proud I was.

To end the week I went to Camp Wannastitch in OCMD.  Another great time.   Camp Wannastitch is a MidAtlantic Region EGA event.   There were 204 of us at the Clarion.  Much stitching, much fellowship, a few drinks and some great meals.   Win/win/win/win.


At Camp Wannastitch, I started the cover of Betsy Morgan's Pioneer School Girl etui by pulling threads and replacing them with blue silks to create the 'teaching linen'.

I also finished this cross stitched tote bag at Camp Wannastitch.  On day two of January,  I broke my pact to work on WIPs and not start anything new.......this is a pattern from Janis Note of Noteworthy Needle.   The kit was complete with perle cotton, pattern and bag.


I joined the Sassy Jack's SAL of the Jeannette Douglas Learning Stitches Sampler.   Jeannette Douglas is a favorite of mine and I am looking forward to starting this one.  This is designed to stitch as pictured but Sassy Jacks is offering a way to stitch it on banding.  I am not sure which way I will stitch it.

I also want to share information about a pattern from Hands Across the Sea.  The Jane Marshall 1857 Sampler.


It is a sweet sampler that you can stitch from stash.  The sampler is being offered as a PDF download for 10 pounds ($12 US), with the proceeds going to help two fire brigades in Australia.  I am told their original goal was $3,000 and to date they have raised almost $40,000!   The power of stitchers!   Please click on the link above to read more about the fundraiser and consider stitching this sampler.

Ok there is more but.....only ten days into retirement I have no free time!   I am sure it will calm down and I will get into a routine, for now, busy busy busy, long to-do lists but I am making sure I am allowing for  time-outs to stitch.

Thanks for stopping by and keep on stitching!

8 comments:

  1. Your retirement party sounded like it was a good time especially with your kids in attendance. It looks like you had a good time at Camp Wannastitch! That tote bag you stitched is fabulous. Enjoy the rest of January and don't forget to slow down and enjoy your stitching and each day as a retiree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great party, Congrats on your retirement.
    That bag is too cute.
    It's a beautiful Sampler & has raised an enormous amount of money already.
    When you retire, you want to get everything done!
    After I retired, I finished a lot of stitching & sewing WIPs that had piled up, it feels good.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your retirement!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your retirement party sounds wonderful! And how wonderful to have your children there....obviously great kids!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a party! Sounds like a great place to work....it sure is nice to feel appreciated, no? Enjoy your stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a first week!
    Wonderful retirement party, great stitching retreat.
    Love the stitching bag and oh boy the Jeannette Douglas Sampler.
    Can't wait to hear what this week brings your way.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  7. Robin: It seems you had a wonderful time, I love going to retreats, you can meet some of the nicest people in the world with the same interests.
    Have a wonderful week.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have had a busy month already! I love the retirement party story and the certificate they gave you. I am sure they will miss you from the sound of that.
    The etui is going to be so pretty and the bag looks great, as well as useful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks is much for stopping by. I so enjoy your comments even if I do not always reply. Have a great day that hopefully includes a bit of stitching.