March 7, 2020

Visiting friends in Florida

I had a great time in Florida visiting my friend Carol and her husband.  We went to Naples, visited friends in Cape Coral, went to the Edison Ford Estate, went to a neat little seaside town called  Matlachey that had some awesome shops, and had some great meals and times together.
Not a bad evening view.  This was the evening we made beaded icicles.

Me, the non beader struggled a bit but made it through with a great and patient teacher.   I signed up for an event in the fall  that has a class in peyote beading so I need to get better at beading between now and October.  Once I unpack this morning, I will find the finished icicle and replace the pix.











In Naples, we went to the Naples EGA Needlework show.  One of our snowbird friends is a member.   She had 13 pieces in the show and we found out later she took a third place.    Congrats BJ.  Sorry but no pictures were allowed.  All the pieces in the show were stunning.  Of course there was a stash relocation boutique where we shopped and purchased a few things to help the cause.    I mean, Kreinik for a $1.....we had to.   We also shopped at Needle in Paradise where we oh'd and ah'd at the canvases and threads of every kind and color.  Our credit cards were safe since we are not needlepointers but you know you always need to visit the local needlework shop when you travel.


One day we toured the Edison - Ford Compound in Fort Myers.   Both men had summer homes in Fort Myers which were located side-by-side.   It always fasinates me to see how and where people that were pioneers in invention lived and worked.   To think that I am walking the same paths and steps and having the same vistas to look at as they did.  

The following four are photos of Edison's workshop.




Some of the cars from Ford's garage.  This one a Cadillac Convertible.

This is an electric tractor from 1915 was used for over 55 years at the Elgin Corrogated Box Company.   It has 30 Edison batteries to power it.


Henry Ford's Living Room


I think this was a 1929 Model A.

Views in Edison's home.
The view from Edison's front porch
Another view of the water side of Edison's home
Palm tree lined walks

The dock where visitors and goods would arrive.
 

The banyan trees were gigantic.

As were the staghorns!

One day we jumped in Carol's VW Bug and went to Matlachey.   What a cute little seaside town filled with the normal touristy type shops.   But I tell you, don't judge the shop by the shop entrance.   More often then not we were treated to fabulous gardens and displays behind the shops that went right up to the waters edge.     I loved this bottle wall and wish I had somewhere I needed to create one.

We ate at the Blue Dog and where we were joined by Henry the Heron and his friend the pelican.



And so cool to see all the orchids just a growing and a blooming.   I may try to find a safe place to put mine outside this summer to see if it perks them up

It was great to see Carol and Paul, visit with  BJ, have dinner and spend the evening with Dave and Barb and day at the pool with Barb.  It was just a real nice all around week.

There was not much stitching time in Florida between visiting and going places.    We did get a lot of smiles and thumbs up when riding around with the top down.
 I made ever so little progress on a new start.   But the view wasn't bad when I was stitching.


For now it is back to reality and time for me to get myself in gear.  I need to create a list of household projects I need to attack.   I have spent the last two months just tackling stitching projects and now I must roll up my sleeves and get my hands dirty.   First step, take inventory room-by-room to list what is needed and then make my plan of attack.  Just general sprucing up with paint touch up here and there that I need to take care of  before I start in the yard.  I have some art work or decorator touches I still need for the bathroom and need to pick out some fabric to make new bathroom curtains.  Surely there are enough projects to keep me busy.

Beautiful view as I start my flight home.

 Thanks for stopping by and ......keep in stitching!


5 comments:

  1. You picked a great week to go south! Hope you brought that warmer weather back with you. Looks like you has a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you had a fabulous time in Florida visiting with your friends. Thank you for sharing your photos! What a beautiful night sky photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful to go see Carol! I miss seeing her. You’re doing an excellent job at retirement!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like a fantastic time.
    Thanks for sharing the pics.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great week you had.
    Thanks for the wonderful tour.
    Have a great week.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete

Thanks is much for stopping by. I so enjoy your comments even if I do not always reply. Have a great day that hopefully includes a bit of stitching.