May 4, 2020

May......

...the forth be with me......and the gardening forth has been.

Just when I thought there would be no future major yard projects in my life......I ate those words.   We continue to remove the Liriope in one last corner.  The weather has been great for yard work and I have been hitting the yard with gusto and consequently not so much stitching.  The sunny days in the 50's are perfect for the digging, pulling cutting, trimming.   In addition to this bed upgrade, I have been removing the briars and brambles along the tree line at the back of my property.  LOL - my property is only 100 by 125 lot but calling it 'my property' makes it sound like I have acres.  Anyway, this area is where I 'toss' my extras.   When I need to thin my lilies or hosta or black-eyed susans or shasta daisies or milkweed or whatever, I toss the extras here.   If they grow they grow.  It is kind of an overgrown mini (mini) meadow.  Pre-retirement, I never had the time to manicure this area so it has become so overgrown with honeysuckle, sticker vines, saplings, etc. and is now my work in progress for this summer.  Photos to come later, much later in the summer.

This is the last section on my list to get rid of the Liriope.   I cut it back with the weedwhacker, sprayed it with vegetation killer and we are half done with the removal in this section.  I plan to augment the soil and make this my herb garden.  

In the foreground I transplanted the lavender from front yard where it had started to get smothered by my ever expanding Scotch Broom.

I left these large hosta in place.   They have a very pretty blue-green leaf rather than the normal variegated.

After 8 days straight in the yard, I decided enough was enough and just relaxed on the deck and did a little finishing yesterday.  I don't recommend making cording on the deck.   The wind was blowing and the ball of perle cotton was rolling but I got it done.  This is Stitch Every Day by Hands On Design.
Thanks to Deb of Country Stitchers Floss Tube for her idea on mounting this piece on the box lid.   This is one of those project that I put off starting but once I did I was amazed at how fast it stitched up.  I did not stitch this on the recommended fabric but used the gray instead. 


 Sometimes my vision doesn't materialize so I am super happy that what I visualized actually came to be.  Now where to put it and what to put in it!

Next is Blackbird Designs Easter Parade.   I did frog the peach tulip and restitched it as charted.  This is the start of my finishing.    I need to lace the green and then attach the linen to it and add a bow or trim.  Not sure yet if I am adding cording or not.


I finished the baby quilt for my grand-daughter adding her name.  I was in such a hurry to include it with all the other things I needed to get to the Post Office last week that I neglected to take a photo of the finished project.


On Ornaments ala Round, I am trudging along.   Being outside all day, I have spent little stitching time.   I get it out in the evening and then never take a stitch.

The evergreen sprays are a bugger and the two on the right are not finished but I needed to move away from them.   I know, I know,  I am just delaying the inevitable.

Once I get this yard work under my belt I have a new indoor project that I have no business starting but that has never stopped me  before.    Just call me Side-track Robin.    More on that once I get started and know if it is going to work as I visualize it and does not put me on the Hot Mess Express.  So that's my status.

One last program note.......is anyone else having issues with their comments showing up?   Not on my blog but when I comment on others, my comments don't appear.   I understand some need moderator approval, but none of my comments are showing up anywhere.   Since I retired I have been trying to be more faithful to not only read but also comment.   Is there a blogger update I missed?  Shudder that thought; usually means you gain some things but lose others.  I use Safari and am wondering if I need to use Chrome.   Anyone else notice this issue? Or is it operator error?

Thanks for stopping by, stay healthy and keep on stitching.

8 comments:

  1. May the Fourth be with you also.
    My Hosta are only about two inches out of the ground so far.
    The herb garden is a great idea.
    Love your Stitch Every Day it really came out so nice and Easter Parade is very striking with the green backing. Ornaments will be done long before Christmas.
    Can't wait to see what the new project is going to be.
    Have a great week.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Robin! Your Stitch Every Day piece looks fabulous on the top of the box. Did you paint the box or did it come that way? Your Easter Parade stitch looks good and I like that green fabric you have it paired with.

    No clue about the comments issue! Hope you can find a solution for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stitch is so pretty on that fabric.
    Easter Parade turned out nice too.
    Great progress on Ornaments.
    I also have been doping yardwork & finding things that weren't there last year!
    1 lonely Jonquil cam up in back, never saw it before. So pretty.
    Have a great week.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still enjoying seeing your progress on the Ornaments ala Round! Such rich colors!
    Our property is 50 x 150 and I always refer to it as "the estate"! lol!
    Beautiful finishing on your stitches!
    Always looking forward to seeing what's growing in the garden. Spring seems to be my favorite season more and more!
    I haven't had issues leaving comments....and I do use Chrome on an iMac. I gave up on Safari a few years ago....it was always so slooooow to load webpages... give Chrome a try and see if it makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chrome will probably care of those comment issues. It did for me. Love the finishing on the box top!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of good things going on at your house, Robin...in and out!!! Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Robin: I love the Ala Round it is a stunning design.
    I love the fabric you chose for Stitch Everyday, it is perfect.
    The Easter parade is my very favorite Blackbird Designs pattern, I love the green accenting fabric, don't you just love those little clips, I use mine all the time.
    Outdoor work is therapy nowadays for many of us stuck in lock-up for the virus.
    The baby quilt looks adorable.
    I am having problems posting comments, it is not just you.
    Stay Healthy

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do have Chrome and still have problems, this happens every once in a while.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete

Thanks is much for stopping by. I so enjoy your comments even if I do not always reply. Have a great day that hopefully includes a bit of stitching.