April 23, 2020

Self-Isolation, Week 6

Wow, has it been that long.   I have ventured out three times.   Once to make sure the car was stilling running, once to pick up a prescription and lastly to pick up a take out dinner Tuesday night - a much welcomed break from cooking every night.    Today or tomorrow I hope to visit one of the local garden centers to pick up what plants I need for my vegetable garden.  I have ordered a few online from GrowJoy.   In the past there was never enough time with working to go to all in the stores in three counties to get what I needed and of course, I don't need 8-packs of veggies for just me.  I have been very happy with the selection and products from GrowJoy.  Yes, I know I am paying a little more but I don't have the space to start from seed, I don't have the room for all the seedlings I would get and pre-retirement I never had the time.   I figure the extra cost is worth it to me to get the established plants.

A co-worked gave me a garden planning diary for Christmas and I have (with all this free time!) drawn out my vegetable and herb beds and plotted where everything will be planted based on size needed and height.    A little to anal retentive I think.   I thought it might be a good thing to note what worked and what didn't and refer to it next spring rather than relying on my memory!




All that said, we, yes we, are continuing the yard work.   Removal of the ground cover, (Robin in Virginia - it is Liriope.  This is the pretty variegated version seen in landscaping and around malls that has a pretty purple flower.  Mine was the poor-step child version, not variegated and rarely flowered and on the rate occasion it did flower, the flowers were white  but sure did spread.)  The root system while not deep (3 to 4 inches) is thick and innertwined that like fibers in a filter for your heater but worse.   We are getting under it and rolling it up like sod  to get it out.  My job is to cut it into movable pieces as Mr. W. rolls it up.


Being out in the yard, I have stayed away from stitching on this piece for the better part of the last week.   I think I needed the break.   I picked it up again yesterday and this is where I was.

  And here is where I am this morning. Finished off two partial ornies, started and completed a second bell and started another ornament.  I am approximately one-quarter of the way through this pattern.

I am enjoying this piece so much more that I thought I would.   I kind of took one for the team and joined a couple of friends to stitch it and I am glad I did.  

I was dreading this ornament but it has turned out to be not so bad.   I think it is the symmetry.   I like all things balanced and symmetrical.  I have to finished the Kreinik (pale blue) and then add the beads and I can cross another ornament off the list.  The beads are the slow part for me.   I doubt this will be finished today as I have a 11 a.m. FaceTime with friends and then will be heading outside.

That's all I've been up to.   I continue to FaceTime with family and friends.   I think I have watched 400 of the 470 episodes of SVU, binged watch all the seasons of Line of Duty (British police drama),  watched all I could of A Place to Call Home (Austrailian drama) until the free subscription to ACORN TV ran out, still cooking dinners, still have plenty of food and the ever important TP.

I pray you all stay safe and healthy and.....keep on stitching.

5 comments:

  1. Robin: This is so pretty, I am looking forward to seeing it finished, how will you finish it.
    I have never kept a journal, just a desk top calendar.
    Stay Healthy

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your ornament stitch is looking fabulous! Thank you for telling me about your ground cover; it is greatly appreciated! I look forward to hearing about your gardening and your landscaping as the days move forward! Be well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You’re really moving along on that piece, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is still too cold & wet her to do yardwork.
    I will have a lot of weeds when I can!
    The Ornament piece is so pretty & colorful.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those ornaments are beautiful.
    Still too wet and cool for yard work here.
    Looking forward to pics of your yard work progress.
    Have a great weekend.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete

Thanks is much for stopping by. I so enjoy your comments even if I do not always reply. Have a great day that hopefully includes a bit of stitching.