March 12, 2021

One Year Later

I got my first of two shots today!  Yippee.  

It was one year ago when we were all confused and wary of what was to come.   I had just returned from Florida and decided to self-isolate for two weeks and ......well we all know what happened.   I remember when hearing  TV doctor/commentartors were saying 12 to 18 months, it was hard to wrap my head around that long.





The mega site I went to was so super organized and so efficient and I was compelled to thank each health care worker and US Army personnel I passed.  

So what I have learned in the last year?

  • Retirement is great, Corona Virus and all
  • Not everyone follows the rule....wait I knew that
  • I didn’t really mind staying home....I knew that too
  • I learned to Zoom!
  • I learned to use Instacart
  • I learned that the automatic rolling into the next episode of a TV series is deadly!
I never ran out of things to do and on as a funny aside, I never ran out of so many things.....so what have I not had to buy in the last year.....here are a few of them.

  • I didn't have to buy any toothpaste having just opened the last box from the big box multi-tube purchase that has been in my linen closet.
  • Tea!  All kinds. Regular, herbal, bags and loose


  • Jello
  • I didn't have to buy of body lotion - time to combine these partial bottles and create a new fragrance!

  • I didn't have to buy laundry detergent although I have been waiting for this last jug o' Tide to be empty so I can switch to tablets from Blue Land or Grove
  • I didn't need to buy any Scrub Daddy's or scouring pads
  • I didn't need to buy bar soap.  Buying hand milled soaps has always been a weakness to me.   Some buy candles or trinkets or jewelry from craft shoes or bazaars, I buy soaps.

  • I haven't had to buy any candles either.....think of all those years of fundraisers for co-workers children and you have a cabinet full of candles.

  • I didn't need to buy any make-up.....I mean I haven't worn any in a year!  I am sure it should be replaced.
  • I didn't need to buy hair products either.   I think it is time to trash the ones I know I  will never use.  

  • I didn't need to buy greeting cards, sympathy cards, get well cards......
  • I surely didn't need to buy any stitching supplies BUT DID as I tried to single-handedly keep a couple of cross stitch stores in business.

So, I was able to remained showered, lotioned up, with clothes clean and teeth brushed and able to communicate by sending cards in the mail at no cost for a year....yes, I had a roll of stamps too!  It is not that I am a hoarder of supplies.....or maybe the harsh reality is that I am!   Could be I need an intervention.  It is the one thing I do blame on my parents who lived through the Depression - having provisions.  Isn't a good homemaker one that always has two of all household necessities on the shelf?   Snow storm coming, you will never find me at the grocery store.  

Thanks for stopping buy.......stitching update next time.......still wearing my mask......stay safe and keep on stitching.


6 comments:

  1. Looks like the center for the shot was very organized.
    We are still on a wait list.
    So much like us, hubby buys 2 of everything!
    We've been stung several times to go back and buy an item & find out it's been discontinued. Frustrating!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good review of your year surviving COVID, Robin! Hard to believe that those 15 days turned into a year. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds horrible, but could we all stay home again this year without the virus? Loved the lack of expectations from others. Love being home. Loved the take out food even! No need for make up, fancy clothes or shoes, and masks have benefits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol! Isn't it funny how all those "treats" became necessities? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The covid vaccine station I went to was also very organized and fairly quick; I think I was there for about a half hour, including the mandatory 15 minute post-jab wait. I'm looking forward to the nation hitting 80% so we can relax a little bit.
    I confess to buying fabric I didn't need, ostensibly to make some masks. I haven't touched it since I brought it home. I may make some of them up and wear them just to annoy people. I'm in a very red part of Pittsburgh metro where many people still think Covid-19 is a hoax and wearing a mask means you're a wimp. I'll let my wimp flag fly, then! Somehow, fabric and floss never made it on my mom's list of Things You Should Always Have Two Of.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, retirement is great, no matter what.
    Having provisions equals being organized.
    As soon as I open one of something it's on the list to buy again.
    I'd rather have too much than not enough.
    I'm with you on the snow storm grocery store thing.
    Another great post.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete

Thanks is much for stopping by. I so enjoy your comments even if I do not always reply. Have a great day that hopefully includes a bit of stitching.