April 29, 2021

May is fast approaching

Mulch was done yesterday and I am in great shape yard-wise.   I ordered my veggies from Grow-Joy again this year and I expect them any day.  Once they are in the ground, it will be maintenance only on pulling the stray weeds in all the different flower and vegetable beds and I will be enjoying the view from my deck.   I may, a big MAY, consider clearing more in the back forty and then again, I MAY not.   I transplanted a Holly tree and three Lilac bushes back there and hope (fingers crossed) they make it. All four were volunteers that needed to be removed from where they cropped up so if they don't make the only cost was my labor.

Power washing the house has started......but not completed.   On a different note, we had an issue with our solar panels and needed the services of the Fire Department - nothing serious - crackling wires with smoke which caused black soot on our chimney.   Thank goodness for the kill switch for the panels we have.   It has been a waiting game until the solar company sent out their electrician to re-wire everything.   Fire Department couldn't believe how it was wired and I couldn't believe the Building Inspector PASSED what they had done.   I will say no more on that whole debacle of inspectors!  Enjoying the most recent electric bill - which was only a part month, balance due - none with a $19 credit.  Can't wait until we have a FULL month of generating to see what it says.   Realistically it will take a year to get a good evaluation but so far so good.

Stitching has been meager to say the least.  I seem to be only able to get in one length of thread on two different projects a day.    I know slow and steady wins the race but.....  I am thankful I document it here so I can at least see a photo from a month ago and say, hey, you did make progress.

I did finish L. Genders from Brenda Gervais.   I was about fed up with the over one and I know there are  mistakes but it is staying as it is.  I plan to take this to OCMD next week to hand finish it.


We started up our Thursday sewing group again.  It has been a year since we met regularly.  In honor of it, of course I had to have a new start.   Any excuse in the book works on that front where I am concerned.   I started Winter Rose Manor from Brenda Gervais.   I am using the called for colors on 38 count Grey Heron from Legacy Linen.    This is my new one strand of floss a day on and it is what I am taking to work on on Thursdays.   New to me, I am trying out stitching in hand and because I am left-handed I am starting my stitching in the upper right.


I am all over the place on Land That I Love.    I have made progress but it is so scattered.   A few letters here, some border there and a flag somewhere else.   All stitches count and put me closer to the end.    I plan to take this to Ocean City next week and really concentrate on making progress first on finishing the alphabet and then maybe some more of the border.   We shall see.   As you know I am not very good at making stitching plans (or rather any goals or plans for that matter) and sticking to them.   They seem great and doable when I conjure them up......but..... ultimately something else shiny comes along and I am off in another direction.   If only I could harness myself..... 


I had the pleasure of going to a local tulip festival a couple of weeks ago.   This was almost in my back yard......10 miles from home...... We had timed admission, were masked up and socially distanced - our new way of life.  I do really believe there are tons of things local to each of us that we can enjoy without boarding a plane or traveling in the car for hours.  

There were food trucks and wine tasting and tulips to buy.   This same farm has a strawberry festival in June and will have the bulbs on sale.  I definitely want to go and buy some and maybe some strawberry shortcake while I'm there.   I have already promised Mr. William I will take him as he told me...."You know Damma, strawberries are my favorite".

And here's a milestone, William is five years old today.   I cannot believe it.   I am hosting his birthday party this weekend which will be family only.  I have enjoyed every minute of his little life.  Oh how my life changed when he was born.   Me, who had finally accepted, with much regret, that I would never be a grandparent and now I am his Damma!  And how the heart opens with his unconditional love and that of his little sister too.    Much fun time ahead in the pool this summer I am sure. 

Thanks for stopping by, stay safe and keep on stitching.

8 comments:

  1. Didn't know you had solar panels...we just got them up and running a few weeks ago. How long have you had them? We haven't gotten a bill yet and can't wait to see what we've credited back to the grid.
    Have fun in OCMD...how could you not???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robin: Happy Birthday to Mr. William, five is a milestone.
    Wow I am so happy you did not have a fire, you are truly blessed.
    Nice Samplers, I do not see mistakes in your first design it is lovely.
    Any stitching is better then no stitching in my mind.
    It is getting better here in Minnesota so many things are loosening up finally.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was some excitement you could have done without!
    I quite agree in the not travelling, especially by plane. What are people thinking of?
    The samplers are beautiful. I always stitch in hand, it comes from stitching on my commute back in the day, you can't take a floor stand on a train LOL
    Happy Birthday to William too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great projects!
    Land That I Love is so very pretty.
    Wow! Those Tulips!
    Yes, there will be fun for sure this summer.
    Happy Birthday to William.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sorry about the crackling wires/smoke issues from your solar panels. I can't get over that Mr. William is 5 years old. Wishing him the happiest of birthdays. Enjoy your trip to OCMD.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday to William .
    Love those Tulips .
    Looks like you have a very busy life .
    Lovely stitching , I like your new one.
    Enjoy your weekend .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, so how many 'hunky' firemen showed up?
    I've seen those calendars!
    So glad you caught this before it got serious.
    Stitching is gorgeous as always.
    Have a wonderful weekend and a great time
    at OCMD.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday to William! The time goes faster every year!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks is much for stopping by. I so enjoy your comments even if I do not always reply. Have a great day that hopefully includes a bit of stitching.