November 6, 2022

November - Day One - New England trip

I don’t know where October went but I guess 10 days at the beach made the month disappear and so it goes. 

And then I turn around and I am off again.   I am just in from a retreat at the Shaker Village in Enfield, NH.   Of course it was a stitching retreat.   Which was run wonderfully.    Jennifer and Merry Susan of Violets & Verses did a more than an outstanding job.  They truly went above and beyond and then some.  More on the retreat in the coming days but first, Day 1……    

In true fashion, when I travel with Stacy we did a ton of touristy things along the way.  This trip we added Vicki to the mix and she fit in just right. Unfortunately we struck out on the way up.   Misting and fear of heights keep us off the Walkway Across the Hudson. (Next time!). We stopped at Captain David Crawford’s house…..closed due to lack of staffing.  George Washington’s Headquarters - also closed.   We stopped at West Point but……didn’t stay long.   Four bus loads of 5th graders running and squealing was a great deterrent and back in the car we were after a quick walk thru the Visitor Center…..this was after we walked in a door and went downstairs to a hallway that said “badges needed for access……”. I think we may have been somewhere we should not have been and we did a to-the-rear-march and ducked out of there quickly before alarms or security came after us!



View of the Hudson River from the Welcome Center at West Point




You might think Day One was a bust but not so.   We somehow found a cross stitch store, Deer Hill Farm Cross Stitch, just outside of Hyde Park.  Pat, the owner was a dear (haha).  We enjoyed her and her shop so much that we had to visit the next day as well.    


We also found a large antique mart and spent time seeing all the things we have sent to Goodwill over the years, now for sale.  LOL   We saw some awesome things as good prices but I resisted……reminding myself it is the purging time of my life, not the collecting tome.











We stayed in a nicest, cleanest little motel in Hyde Park called the Roosevelt Inn.  We ended the first day with Margarita’s at El Guacamole in Hyde Park, NY.   


Stay tuned, more of  my New England trip to come. 

6 comments:

  1. Great post very interesting.
    Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pics!
    Looks like a fun trip.
    Nice that you found a stitch shop, nice haul!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robin, thank you for sharing your pictures of day one of your adventure. What a lovely surprise to find an unexpected stitch shop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Robin: I would love to visit that museum, I love the hanging hats, maybe I can talk Mike into going sometime.
    Nice new stash, love the Christmas Pickle so cute.
    Have a wonderful day.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a fun trip.
    Great pics.
    Great bonus to find a cross stitch shop and always great food and drink along the way.
    Looking forward to the retreat rundown.
    Have a great week.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pat truly is a dear. I got to live on West Point for 3 years, left in 2005. She was my local shop. Enjoy your trip.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks is much for stopping by. I so enjoy your comments even if I do not always reply. Have a great day that hopefully includes a bit of stitching.