September 13, 2023

St. Louis continued

 We decided to stay in the St. Louis area because of course we wanted to to go Colour and Cotton and they were closed the day we visited the arch…..but they were opened the next day.   We selected a hotel west of the city and only 5 miles from Colour and Cotton.  



It was worth spending the night.   Oh the colors.   

At first impression, the store was small.   I soon realized that a lot was packed into the place.  Adorable set ups and displays and yes, purchases were made.  The owner and her staff member we as sweet as can be.   Chatty and helpful.     Since I am typing as we drive down the road, my purchases are somewhere in the back behind me.   I will have to insert them here once I am home and recovery!

Zooming along Route 70, we saw a billboard for a quilt store.    Yep. We took the exit and shopped.  It was a crowded store and then we realized we were in the middle of the Missouri Quilters Shop Hop!  There are tons of fabric and quilt stores in this part of the country.


No we didn’t hit a major downpour, Vicki decided she NEEDED a car wash…..LOL. Too many bugs on her windshield.  




Kansas City here we come.

Crossing the Missouri River

We stopped at a great antique consignment shop in Pocohantas Missouri, population 97.  Got a couple of bargains - still packed in the car - like a yard stick that is actually 48 inches long.   I have a collection of them but they have to mean something.   This one says - “Nothing runs like a deere” for John Deere.   Years ago we had a Kawasaki Mule and Mr. W took lots of ribbing because it wasn’t a John Deere so I made his a t-shirt to wear that said “Nothing runs like a deer, running from a mule”. 

We arrived at Quilters Station in Lee’s Summit mid-afternoon.   Long enough to be overwhelmed.    

Take this view and times it be about 8 and you might be close to the fabric selection.

Truly there was so much packed into this store it was overwhelming.   That said, beautiful, plentiful selection of fabric and quilt patterns.  



Off to dinner and check in to the hotel to get ready for the classes

We got the baby back ribs but I tell you I felt like Fred Flintstone when they placed the tray in front of me.   Delicious.   We brought two boxes back to our room and then enjoyed them on Sunday night.


Saturday, class starts, but first a look at the trunk show.  I thought I took more pictures.  IDK



First up was Alma of Blackbird designs.   What a wonderful, talented lady.    This is my first class with Alma.  We all enjoyed her take about herself and her cross stitch design story.  Her piece was this beautiful Huswif  of course with birds featured on it.


Here is the inside.  The kit includes the lining fabrics and wool as well.  

We also got a small complementary pin pillow.

Rounding out Saturday was Linda of Chessie & Me.   She Linda is a dream.    This sweet Christmas pillow.   This is so doable in my lifetime……Blackbird’s…..I don’t know.  


Sunday morning we started with Lois of Lady Dot Creates.    She walked us through creating this beautiful needlebook and scissors case with none other than Blackbird fabric. 

Believe it or not, most of us are almost finished this piece.    I only need to add the Pom Pom trim, place the hinge piece and then secure the inside and outside pieces together.   It will only be an afternoon of work.   I love going to a retreat and coming home with a finished piece.





Last and certainly not the least was Beth Twist of Heartstrings Samplery.   Such a sweet sweet person.   Again we all enjoyed her stitching and designing journey.  Her husband has just retired and she joked he is now on her payroll.   

On the same theme as her Cross Stitch Nation, Beth designed this patriotic salute to woman.   She has Lady Liberty, Rosie the Riveter and Lady Columbia.

As a bonus she also provide the chart for three individual pillows as well as the Tilda fabric to complete the pillows.  We also received some wood pieces from Beth that her husband made.  But you guess it, they are still somewhere in the back of the car as I lay here in the hotel in Zanesville, OH on our way home.    I will have to edit and add them when I find them.

OMGosh…..I can’t wait to work on each of the projects from this retreat.    

But wait, there’s more to come.   Next up Missouri Star Quilt Company!



4 comments:

  1. So much packed in to your trip...I am truly "green" with envy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That wall of threads at Colour & Cotton is incredible. Wow! The quilt shop was filled to the brim based on your pictures. What a wonderful assortment of projects from your retreat at Quilter's Station, Robin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love seeing everything from your adventure.
    Great projects from the great designers.
    Colour and Cotton looks awesome!
    Those ribs are making my mouth water! :)
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. This would be a break the bank trip for me.
    Such beautiful shops.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete

Thanks is much for stopping by. I so enjoy your comments even if I do not always reply. Have a great day that hopefully includes a bit of stitching.