August 18, 2026

Colonial Williamsburg, Day 2

I need to back track a bit and tell you about where we stayed.   It was the quintesential 1960’s motor lodge.    It was the sweetest place with the only complaint, the WiFi was horrible.  



After breakfast with friends, we wondered the shops adjacent to Colonial Williamsburg.   

Not one to pass up a craft store, we ventured in.   We were first captivated by the window display.    

This gentleman is knitted!


Even the Declaration of Independence that he was reading, was knitted.

So of course the wallpaper was a cable knit pattern - not knitted but awesome just the same.




We went into the Bruton Parish Church which still holds weekly services.  


How cool was it to actually sit in the pew that Thomas Jefferson once sat in every week.  


We went into the Governor’s Palace.  








When the Governor, who was loyal to the King, fled the Palace, he left 540 swords, sabers, rifles, muskets and munitions.








Touring the Milliner’s Shop, we learned they had the same issues with getting linen that we do today.  




We learned a lot in the wig makers shop as well.  





Not to let any grass grow under our feet, we stopped at Mount Vernon on Sunday on the ride home.   I can’t believe I have never been there.    I had been there for lunch but never toured the estate.   Unfortunately, this being the summer of rain, a storm blew up and we had to cut the visit short.  We did have time to tour the mansion and take in some of the grounds.  






































Old meets new.   Mount Vernon in legos.


Guess I could have cropped my finger out of the photo.  


I like how I captured the docent, in costume, sitting outside.

Use the handrail going upstairs and touch the same handrail touched by Washington, Jefferson, Franklin, Lafayette, Thomas Payne and other founding fathers.


The craftmenship always amazes me.

While many pieces are not original to the home, the sideboard under the mirror is.

As are the chairs, original to the home.

Original marble fireplace in the banquet room was a gift from Samuel Vaughan of Essex, England.  He was a wealthy merchant and a friend of George Washington’s.   He shipped the piece in ten crates arriving in February 1784.  








Again, thanks for traveling along with me.   I have lofty ideas of being about to get in a few stitches between now and the end of the month.   Oy!  Stay safe, stay hydrated, be thankful and keep on stitching.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks is much for stopping by. I so enjoy your comments even if I do not always reply. Have a great day that hopefully includes a bit of stitching.