March 7, 2010

Week 10 - My Small Changes

hhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm, what to pick.   Believe it or not there is still a list of small changes I would like to make, I could make, I need to make so what will it be............

For my small change this week, I think I will try to take a deep breath before opening my mouth.   No big deal you may think but I have a habit over barrelling ahead with words spewing from my lips out of the fear I won't get my two cents in.     I do this at work especially when I feel I need to tell my side of the equation, when I need to jump on a situation where the people in my department are being taken advantage of, when I need to defend a decision I made for my department or when confronted with irrational behaviors and expections of others. 

I need to learn to take a deep breath.  I need to let others complete their say.   Or more important I need to think about what I may say before I erupt into a blurting of words....or at least appear to be thinking about what they are saying.   Maybe the pause will emphasize my point.   Maybe the pause will add drama but that is definitely not my motivation.   I hope my deep breath will show others I am receptive to their point; that I won't appear as one who goes off the handle; that I will show maturity in my position; and allow me time to evaluate all sides.   I will contemplate; I will let things sink in;  I will appear brilliant (cough) in my answers and responses.   

Hey!  I bet this method will work wonders with my kids when I delay a response even half a second.....I wonder what dancing they will do when Mom doesn't just jump on every whim.......the possibilities are endless. 

2 comments:

  1. Ooohhhh! This so sounds like me too! I think I might have to adopt this one as well. Wonder how my boys will react to this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to try this too. I have enjoyed reading about your changes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks is much for stopping by. I so enjoy your comments even if I do not always reply. Have a great day that hopefully includes a bit of stitching.