November 2, 2012

Day 2 and Almost Forgot to Post

 Look peeps, it has been a long week even though my office was closed for two days and I am just too tired to be creative with a fab post.   So as to not miss a day so early in the month and just disqualify myself, sit down, grab the popcorn and get ready to watch some more home movies......I mean vacation pictures.
 I believe these two are from Grandfather Mt.   And just think, as beautiful as the weather was, now they have a couple of feet of snow in some places.   Timing is everything.

 I know this is from the observation deck on Grandfather Mt.   Just had to show you the hairpin curves on the road up the mountain.   (All photos on my blog should be clickable to enlarge.)


Determination.  Trees growing out of the rocks.

Near the end of visit to the Woolly Worm Festival,
the sun came out briefly to help us warm up.

The Woolly Worm Festival in Banner Elk, NJ. For real!  Kids (and adults!) buy caterpillars or 'wooly worms' and race them up strings.   Yes, you read that correct.    It is a big county craft show and event.   Food, vendors, rides and entertainment.    Of course there is a booth to sell the worms as well as people hawking them in the parking lot....'gauranteed winner'.   Worms get named and race in heats.   The winner of each heat races in quarter-finals, then to finals.   It was a really cold bluster damp day so we didn't stay for the finals....that's my story and I am sticking to it.  


I could not make up something this wacky.   This is the 35th Annual Woolly Worm Festival.  he man in the orange hat on the left on the stage is taking down the names of the last heat and prepping for the next set of names to be posted.    Let me tell you, the people of Banner Elk really get into this.   The registration line for signing your worm up for the race was a good city block long.  Truth is often stranger than fiction!


2 comments:

  1. Wow, who knew? I love the big worm that is hugging on you.
    I hope that everyday gets easier as we recover from Sandy!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks is much for stopping by. I so enjoy your comments even if I do not always reply. Have a great day that hopefully includes a bit of stitching.