I took Roxanna to the quilt store and we bought the fabric for the border and binding and backing and somehow I volunteered myself to finish it for her. Initially I was all happy go lucky about my part in creating an heirloom for her family to pass down through generations but then my excitement turned to fear......what if I ruin the quilt top. Much trepidation has been felt so it has sat......and sat......and sat some more.
~~~~~ So I took all your ideas and forged ahead. Rather than deconstruct one square to wash, I laid a clean fluffy white towel on the kitchen counter and using a clean white washcloth, I gently wet and blotted a section stitched with red. Pat L. said if the red doesn't run.....I was good.....and I was. I then, just to be safe, soaked the whole quilt top in a freshly scoured, rinsed and wiped out kitchen sink. I soaked it in cold water, white vinegar and just about a drop of Orvis soap. Surprisingly there was not even any dirt that came out. I rinsed and spread it across the patio on top of a several clean beach towels. Still wary, I didn't want to hang it while dripping wet and have dye run. After it was nearly dry I moved it to the clothes line where it will hang for the rest of the day. Tonight I will press it and be ready to start the cutting of inner and outer borders and binding tomorrow with Heather. We have an overnight of stitching and sipping wine planned! Hopefully, I will be able to show a completed quilt by Monday, save the hand stitching of the binding. Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions! ~~~~~