August 19, 2018

It's All About the Tools

I was lucky enough to spend most of the weekend in the city with daughter number one.   We had a great time together as always and each got a lot, craft-wise, accomplished!  To start, I came home to another delivery from Just Another Button Company.    Love this set just us much as the previous sets.   Can't wait to add those bees to something.    Have you seen their other series......Words with Buttons?    I'd love to join that one too but one auto-ship a month is my limit.   Maybe next year.

I was able to cut, piece and prepare the binding for the quilt top I finished earlier this summer.    Doesn't look  like much but it's another WIP that is one step closer to finishing.

I did finish stitching the Hands on Design Sunshine on a Stem this week.   A fast, easy stitch from stash.  I grabbed some fat quarters and trim before leaving for Philly and threw in my tote bag so I could  stitch it up into a pillow.    And I found just the right  place to use two of my JABCO buttons from this month's delivery.




Of course, one stitching project finished means time to start another.     I  plan to continue to enjoy the reward of some quick finishes.   I have kind of overwhelmed myself the last few years with too many BAP's and not enough stitching time so I am liking accomplishing some fast start-to-finish pieces.   My new start this week is the first of four little 3 by 5 Halloween designs.


I choose a turquoise blue fabric instead of white to save me from stitching the entire background in blue as charted.




And then I worked on this....actually this is what I started with....... until I hit a speed bump.   This is the Bionic Gear Bag from a pattern I got from  Craftsy.    I wish I had been able to finish it today.   I got to the next to the last step or page 34 of 35!   I got hung up with the binding that you attach and wrap around the seams allowances then do stitch-in-the-ditch from the back to 'capture' the binding on the other side.   This method rarely works for me.   There is always a place or two that I didn't catch.   But.....I tried it anything.   The result was the same as always.   Out came the seam ripper and I  hand stitched the side binding down like I should have in the first place.

Wonder clips!  My friends.

I can't wait to finish this tool kit and replace the Rubbermaid tub that lives in my sewing tote.

Couldn't have done the project without the Wonder Clips.

I can tell you, those Vera Bradley bags are worth every penny.  LOL

Not to worry, if this turns out as I believe it will....then I will post the finished project and ALL the tools I can stow in it.

I have to add the binding and zipper to the top and front and then I am done. Now for finishing this and other things this week.....doubtful.   My Little Man is arriving tomorrow for a week.   Just baby time and no stitching time for sure!

Thanks for stopping by and keep on stitching.

6 comments:

  1. Everything looks beautiful as usual. Enjoy that little man. He is growing up so fast and so cute. Can’t wait to see you in October.
    Diane in TN

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow--that was a jam packed weekend!!! Love the buttons and they worked well on your HOD piece. Those little Halloween designs are adorable!!! Your project bag looks complicated; looking forward to seeing the finished project in person one day. You always inspire and motivate Robin!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting tool bag you are creating! I look forward to seeing it finished. Your Sunshine on a Stem turned out great. You are off to a good start on Mr. Skeleton. I like the fabric you are using for it. Enjoy your week with the Little Man!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy smokes! Congrats to you for even attempting one of those bags! lol! Looks like you did a fantastic job on it too! Looking forward to seeing what goodies you stash in there! :-)
    Wonder clips have helped me through a number of tricky stitches.
    Enjoy your week with Little Man! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robin: That bag is amazing, I need to get to Craftsy and check it out.
    Your Hands On Design is lovely, we have Hands On coming to our Needlework guild retreat next year I am excited.
    You are very smart using the blue fabric, you have given me an idea to do the same for some other designs I want to stitch.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute buttons, and cute finish!
    Love those Tiny Modernist designs.
    Have fun with the little guy.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete

Thanks is much for stopping by. I so enjoy your comments even if I do not always reply. Have a great day that hopefully includes a bit of stitching.