April 4, 2020

As Kitten Stitcher would say

What am I all into today.......in the midst of the Coronavirus......

I mentally was listing what has not changed in my life the last month.  When I did, I realized I have a lot to be thankful for.
  • Still am getting up and getting dressed every day - may be wearing sweats more than usual
  • Still showering every day - may be closer to 9:30 some mornings than 7 a.m.
  • Still making my bed every morning
  • Still doing laundry and hanging it outside on nice days
  • Still enjoying my cross stitching
  • Still enjoying gardening on warmer days
  • Still communicating with friends but not in person; using FaceTime, Skype and Zoom
  • Still cooking dinner
  • Still doing dishes
  • Still cleaning my house
  • Still able to pay my bills
  • Still not believing most “stuff” posted on FB 
  • Still don't want to be included in any "copy and paste" chain mail or FB posts
  • Still thankful for things like the internet to help us keep in touch and entertained
  • Still have food in the pantry and freezer.
What has changed...
  • Not driving my car.  Started it yesterday to make sure the battery was still charged.   Most of us have Halo Bolts so it would not have been a problem  if the battery were dead.
  • Not meeting friends for dinner.   This kind of runs in fits and starts.  Either plans 8 nights a week or no plans for weeks.
  • Not meeting friends for stitching but communicating other ways...girls did a FaceTime catch up earlier this week.
What I am missing.....
  • Not seeing my children and grand babies in person but that happens anytime there is a lot of time between visits
  • Not hopping in the car and driving somewhere just because
  • Not packing for a trip somewhere or making any future  travel arrangements
What I am I doing new....
  • Going to try online grocery shopping
  • Having a renewed appreciation for the internet 
  • Watching Season 5 of Outlander!  Thankful STARZ is being offered  free.  I lost STARZ  in the  latest rebundle and therefore lost Outlander this season.
For me, this has been not an overwhelming hardship so far and may be why I am not overcome with the Cabin Fever yet.  Having STASH and staying positive are my key.   That said, I am in no way diminishing what is happening. 

I am......
  • Scared for my friends and family
  • Thankful for all the essential people - doctors, nurses, pharmacists, EMT's, police, grocery store workers, garbage men, etc.
  • Keeping informed by my the local health department 
  • Offended by people that tell me not to look down on service workers because I never have.  
  • Frustrated by people that won't follow the rules and stay home or practice social distancing 
  • Not understanding the toilet paper shortage
  • Fearful of what this will do to families and small businesses financially
  • Unable to wrap my brain around what this will do to the world economy and what the recovery time will be
  • Not worrying about my 401K 
  • Stressed on the days I am not able to focus or have the drive to work on a project 
  • Delaying the sorting that box of photos (recipes, news clippings, etc.) that I said I would do one day when I had time
  • Uplifted by acts of kindness
  • Watching way too much television
  • Hopeful for the human race
  • Somewhat enjoying the downtime and lack of pressure to be somewhere and do something
  • Feeling accomplished by all my crafting, household fix ups and gardening I am getting done
  • Exasperated by "well" intended people that message or email misinformation.  Please fact check people
  • Optimistic that this pandemic may change a lot of people going forward
  • Encouraged by parents that are spendings inventive quality time with kids
  • Thrilled that those that have the means (sports figures, actors, business men, the average joe, music stars, teams owners, etc.) are donating all kinds of things from money, to paying for meals, to flying around the world for masks, and more
  • Partaking in an evening Happy Hour more frequently
  • Praying this will be over soon. 
From WillowHillSamplings.net
I like to think like Henry David Thoreau, to live simply, simply live which is very important now.  Every now and then we all need to be reminded to focus on what we have and not what we don’t have.   It could be a great time to reset yourself;   take stock of what is really important; and  take care of yourself and your family.  By the way, Thoreau's  Waldens Pond is a beautiful place to put on a list of places to visit
Stopped here several years ago on my way home from Mass.

Think about it......What’s different for you?  What’s your biggest change?  What are you missing?  What are you thankful for?
OK, I'm off my soapbox now. 

Thanks for stopping by....keep calm....keep being thankful......keep on stitching.  

10 comments:

  1. Bravo and Amen!!!
    Things so many of us have thought.
    I'm thankful for you and your wonderful attitude!
    Have a fabulous weekend.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  2. My biggest change? My husband's company did major layoffs and he was one of them. It probably would have happened even if this crisis didn't. So he's been around the house but busy looking for a new job. Thank goodness for phone interviews and teleconferencing! And, like you, we are staying in a routine of getting up at the same time every day, exercising, trying to be optimistic. Stay safe and well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a well written post, Robin! I think many of the things you wrote can be applied to most of us. It is really nice to see (and hear) about the acts of kindness that are happening during this time; it is a nice break from the 24/7 newsreel about this pandemic (I am not trying to minimalize this virus). Be well and safe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a great post Robin..covered a lot of hat we are all feeling!! Stay safe and be well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And kinda sad that we should have been together this week in Asheville...but next year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well said Robin!! I am not missing my constant run to somewhere for something. Not bored at all Catching up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post.
    We are hanging in there.
    I am keeping busy sewing & stitching, but hubby I think is having a harder time . His hobby is working on cars, so it's hard for him to be stuck in the house all day.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so thankful for my hobbies that are able to keep me busy and keep my mind off things. Technology has enabled me to connect frequently with friend groups. The living simply quote is definitely something that has become apparent through all this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Robin: This brought tears to my eyes, we need to be thankful for all we have right now and appreciate what we have and will have in the future.
    I pray daily for all that this will be over soon, I is a hard lesson for those who do not appreciate what they really have, it is a rude awakening for some.
    it is not hard for me to stay home, being retired for five years now it is easy, I see more people walking in our small development, waving saying hello, it is heart warming.
    Stay healthy

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! I agree with everything! Things have not changed much for me as I am able to still work (Thank God!) The biggest change is not getting in the car and going wherever I want and not seeing my kids and grandkids. But, I do know they are all safe and everyone but my oldest son is working and all are healthy. MUCH to be thankful for!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks is much for stopping by. I so enjoy your comments even if I do not always reply. Have a great day that hopefully includes a bit of stitching.