June 14, 2020

Sidelined

I’ve been sidelined.   I have an eye issue.    I used the medical degree I obtained from the internet and was smart enough to see a real professional.  Glad I did and as long as I don't do Zumba, run on a treadmill or get on a pogo stick, it should heal fine.  Which the funniest this is I am more likely to get on a pogo stick than either of the other two.  Surgery is not necessary unless it progresses to a retinal detachment which is why need to stay relitively sedentary.  Ugh!   Until it heals I shouldn’t be doing things like pulling vines or lugging cider blocks and logs or digging holes.  I’ve got to tell you I was really jonesing for the first few days....taking laps around the yard and seeing things that needed to be moved or picked up or dug up; unable to focus on anything.  Some may say I don't  know how to relax.....but I love to garden, it is relaxing as well as rewarding to me.     Mr. Wonderful threatened if I didn't do as the doctor said and had an issue he would be picking the clothes I would be wearing.   The thought of that and him doing my make-up leads to the strong possibility of me looking like Mimi from Drew Carey Show, I decided to behave.  I think Mr. W is secretly happy I need to stand down from yard work.  He told the neighbor I was wearing him out.   You’ve got to remember this is the first summer in 20 years that he has spent at home.

He cut the bushes with the new hedge trimmer and I'm not  saying a word.   They will grow just like your bangs grew after your mom cut them to within a 1/2 inch of your scalp on the morning of school picture day.    


But enough of that.



Last week he about pushed me out the door to go to the beach for the weekend.   No yard work caused me to be a sad lost puppy just moping which forced the issue.  A friend was going to her condo for the first time of the season and since we both had been staying away from people we felt it was safe for us to spend the weekend together.   I’ve got to say that contrary to what you see on the news about beach towns, for the most part OCMD people were behaving and doing the right thing......unless of course if they were  under 25.

It was nice to get away and of course I went to Salty Yarns.  My friends and I are doing our best to keep the needlework stores in business.

For stitching, I let my 52 weeks of blackwork slide partly because I temporarily deactivated my Facebook account and partly because I was working outside.   This week I logged back in,  printed the latest pattern and finished 6 weekly installments.   I think I am one square away from being on schedule.



I got a goodie in the mail.   I received my Prim Stitchers Bag from Carolina Stitchers.   Put a project in it right away.




 


I started work on Summer House Stitches Workes Ladies Garden Journal.   If I can’t work in the yard, at least I can stitch a garden.   Ornaments Ala Round is just sometimes bigger than what I feel like working on.  My Thursday group has started to meet again sitting on each others patios when weather permits.  Ladies Garden Journal is a  piece that is easy to take along.




















I also started a Terri Bey Lotus Box.   It is an EGA project for my guild.   We are to stitch it twice; once for the inside and again for the outside.   I don't need it until the fall but I was worried it would be difficult and take a lot of time.    Not so, this is about an hour and a half of work.   A fall meeting will be dedicated to learning how to assembly it.    I will only be able to stitch so much because I need No. 5 perle cotton and with the Corona virus some fibers have been hard to come by.


For Ornaments ala Round, I sort of took a break.   I haven't worked on it in ten days.  It is too large to carry to the beach or even at home on the deck.   My plan is tomorrow morning I am back on it.   We all agreed we hate the branches so I decided to start each stitching session with one length of each of the three greens in the pine boughs.  I refuse to put it aside other than for a brief hiatus.   This piece is not landing in a UFO pile!

It sparkles so much in the sunshine!

So that's all I've got.  I hope to get caught up on all your posts since I am temporarily a lady of leisure.....sitting on my deck with nothing but time.....it's not that bad, we have beautiful weather here at least for the next week, the birds are chirping, the breeze is blowing the wind chimes, I can smell all the flowers and I can just stitch away.  Going to have to set my watch to remind to get up every hour and take a lap!

Thanks for stopping by and keep on stitching.

6 comments:

  1. Sorry about the eye issue; hope it heals fully so you can get back to the yard work. Your ornament SAL piece is looking good, Robin. Good for you on the progress you have made on the blackwork piece. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your eye heals fast, but glad you can still stitch.
    Your blackwork is so pretty, but then I like blue!
    Ornaments is beautiful & so colorful.
    Rest up & have a great week!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry about the eye. Give it a little extra time to heal.
    The stitching is fabulous a little bit of every thing.
    I do remember those bangs and perms.
    I always wished I had a coworker like Mimi. I loved that show.
    Have a great week. Can you believe this great weather.
    Take care.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robin,
    What color of DMC #5 perle coton do you need?
    Call me; I probably have extra.
    Lynn from Lamplighters

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eyes are so important! Hope you heal well and quickly. The dude helped me cut back a spirea and though we tried to get it to maintain its round shape it's wonky. The other day he looked out at the garden and said, "I like how that one bush we worked on looks--it's pleasingly irregular." Okay, that's what we'll call it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Robin: I am so sorry this has happened, I hope you heal quickly and get back to gardening and other things you like to do.
    Beautiful stitching.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete

Thanks is much for stopping by. I so enjoy your comments even if I do not always reply. Have a great day that hopefully includes a bit of stitching.