July 1, 2020

And then I slept until 8am

Stitchy wise I completed Sweet William from Summer House Stitche Works before I went to visit my grand babies.   Time to start the next one, I think it is Hollyhocks.


After much discussion and knowing I had not been anywhere and they had not been anywhere except for my son going to work, I headed to State College and boy did I have a nice time.   I got the biggest hug from Willy.   He just wouldn’t let go.  Melted my heart.   He was my shadow the entire four days.  As Heather and I were driving away, I understand he told his mom that she was the meanest mom in the world because she wouldn't let Willy come home with me.
This is kind of how I spent most of my first day there.   If I was anywhere, Willy was right there with me.

We played games, both board and video, did puzzles, read stories, took hikes, laughed and snuggled.  Mario’s Dance Party was a hoot and unfortunately both my daughter and daughter-in-law  thought it appropriate to video Damma dancing.   I’m sure we will have side splitting laughs on holidays when they replay it.  My little, not-so-little, grand daughter...weighing in at 20 lbs., has to be the happiest little baby.  She lights up when you talk to her with a big smile that gets only bigger if her daddy comes into sight.  Good meals, good times, great memories made.  I loved hearing those little bare feet of William's running down the hall in the morning to jump in bed with Damma......which is why I slept in on my first night back home!  



Out for a nature walk on a local trail, we saw some pretty sights.  I think it was Musser's Gap Trail.





A chipmunk, or rather a Chee-Pump, sat on a log with us when Damma needed a break from the incline!
Little boys have boundless energy!



All the pretty flowers gave Damma a lot for playing I-Spy will William as we climbed the trail.







 I have made no progress on Ornaments ala Round.   I am outside from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. putzing, deadheading flowers, reading in the shade on the deck, eating breakfast, lunch and dinner on the deck, swimming (so thankful in this heat that I am a mere dozen steps from the house to the pool!)  Ornaments ala Round  is really not a good one with take outside.   I have done it but I don't do too well.  Too many moving parts between floss and beads and kreinik and patterns and a big old giant q-snap.  And since my usually stitching time on this has been substituted with me being outdoors, I am lagging behind.    I am sure I will be the last of the three of us to get this completed.  Yes, the self imposed deadline of 7/23 has been pushed off to ....maybe 9/23!




And even though I should be starting Hollyhocks as the next in the  series, I started this little patriotic pattern from The Humble Stitcher.   My buddies all ordered and are waiting for United We Stand by Blackbird Designs.   I resisted.   I've already done more than my fair share of supporting the needlework industry these last 4 months.   I saw this completed by Stasi of Bee-Mused and Bee-Stitching and really liked it.   It works well for stitching on the deck and is an instant download from Etsy.  I am not sure how I will finish it.   Toying with using a mattress style finish.

 Stitching this on 32 Ct. Confederate Gray linen with DMC from stash.


Yard work continues in an abbreviated format.   I sit on the ground, tug at a vine, if it offers resistance, I cut it.   I have a million and one little pieces of sticker vine and ivy but I am making progress.  It has been so humid, that I can only manage about an hour and a half before taking a break.  I've managed another 8 by 25 foot section.   Having fun  scouring the internet for shade loving, non-invasive ground cover and plants.   Oh boy!  

I'll let Mr. W. pry out those cinder blocks and bricks.
My vegetable garden is producing.  Also harvested radishes and zucchini and tomatoes already.  No cucumbers yet.

The hydrangea is beautiful and even more in bloom today then when I took this photo last week.

It is about six foot tall and apparently I should be pruning it.   Not now but I am sure an internet search will tell me how and when.

And the last bit of nature on this trip around the yard, I spotted 7 little frogs on my pond this morning.  The largest of the leaves is 4 to 5 inches across so you can see they are little guys.


Thanks for stopping by,  Stay safe and keep on stitching!

4 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a fantastic visit with the grands. Oh...those eyes on your granddaughter!
    Your 4th piece is coming along..the border was really the most time consuming part and you're almost down that.
    I give you a lot of credit for all your yard work and I'm sure the fruits of your labor are worth it.
    Have a nice 4th of July weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you had a fabulous visit with your grandchildren. Your granddaughter's eyes are beautiful. What a handsome shadow you had! Enjoyed seeing the pictures from your hike! How is your eye issue doing? Your gardening efforts are looking good. Wishing you a wonderful July!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute kids!
    Still loving Ornaments. it's so colorful.
    That looks like a lot of work outside.
    We have those teeny frogs too, they are so cute.
    Have a great 4th!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. The garden produce looks great. You have had your mojo recharged with the visit to grands!! Keep up the stitching!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks is much for stopping by. I so enjoy your comments even if I do not always reply. Have a great day that hopefully includes a bit of stitching.