July 5, 2020

Returning to a project....

is the pits........

For the last several years my daughters and I have gathered for 5 days for a stitching/sewing palooza around the 4th of July.   Due to the Corona Virus as with so many things we needed to adapt.   Amy didn't want to come down from Boston and we don't blame her.  Heather and Miki had been here for the weekend earlier in the month for his mother's funeral and since me, Mr. W., Heather and Miki have only associated with family, we felt it safe to get together for a modified sew-a-thon.

For the 4th of July, we had some great ribs, salads, deviled eggs, beans and desserts spending the time between swimming and sewing and then watching fireworks from the front porch.

Let me clarify  the sewing part of our sew-a-thon.    Seems we both did a lot of trimming as is evidenced by the large bowl of trimmed pieces.  And I admit, I contributed more than her.


Heather started work on a new quilt.   (I think this makes #5 during quarantine)    She has such a great eye for colors.  She made all her half square triangles, sub cut and made her final block.





















Here's the one she just completed for her father in law using her mother in laws t-shirts.

My first project was to complete a tinted linen piece I wanted to turn into a pillow.  It is good to get this FFO.    A pillow form I have from a Pine Mountain pillow is a little small for this one and I may have to just outright stuff it.   For now, I'm thinking it will only be out 4 weeks  each holiday season  and I may be able to deal with the 'lack' of stuffing.


Really happy with the backing fabric I was able to use.   It does match the truck color perfectly even though is doesn't appear to here.



Once the pillow was done, I pulled out a quilt top I started last year.   This is where the trouble started.  No matter what notes I would have left in the container when I stored this, they would have been nonsensical when revisited.    I started to trim each block to a nice 6 inch square.   About halfway through I came across a block only measuring 6 by 5 3/4.   OK, just one I can make it work.   Rip out the seams and restitch with a scant 1/4 seam allowance.   Then there was another and another so I decided to started trimming and retrimming to 5 3/4 by 5  3/4.   So much time spent and no sewing even done.   I still marvel at how this happens when you spend so much time being precise while cutting and stitching.    Oh well......sew it goes.






Some cut and some still needing to be cut.   Maybe sometime today I will be ready to sew!

 I made a bit of progress on 4th of July by the Humble Stitcher (on Etsy).

And I'll leave you with a couple Pics of the Day that I received from my daughter in law.  Looks like Reagan liked (wearing) the carrots daddy gave her.




Thanks for stopping by.  Stay safe, stay healthy and keep on stitching.

7 comments:

  1. The pictures of your granddaughter are adorable! Love your truck pillow! Your quilt blocks are looking good! Super start on the Fourth of July Sampler! What colors are you using?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yet another productive weekend.
    Truck pillow came out very nice.
    Love the fabric for your quilt.
    Yum carrots!
    Have a great week, 90's for us all this coming week.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL at Regan. She is so happy with carrots all over. Nice quilting Robin!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great time sewing.
    That baby is so darn cute!
    Have a great week!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! Love that last pic of Reagan! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG Robin, that last photo had me laughing out loud!!! The look on her face is priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful to share hobbies with your daughters! Your granddaughter is just precious.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks is much for stopping by. I so enjoy your comments even if I do not always reply. Have a great day that hopefully includes a bit of stitching.