September 1, 2024

August 2024 is in the books

Again, another photo heavy post.

Stitching accomplished in August?   I laugh in my own general direction!  Truly a WIPGO fail.  And what crazy thing was I thinking when I packed 3 or 4,  but probably 5, projects to the Outer Banks with me.    That said, we had a fabulous time on vacation.    It was so good that we have booked the same house for the same week next year.     More on the Outer Banks further down.

I was able to fully finished the Christmas in Williamsburg biscournu which was a Christmas in July project and not a WIPGO project.  It was stitched so I only had to assemble it.   Easy to do and no pattern to have to refer to.


I fully finished three heart ornaments for my grand-daughter.   I’d told her the color I wanted and she picked the beads for me to add.  


I did get my temperature tree up to date.  Somehow I was 5 weeks behind.   How does that happen?   Exponentially I believe.  With one of my WIPGO August tasks  being spend 10 hours on a WIP, I say this qualifies  ✅.   My board, my rules, right?  I only have the last 3 days of month to do.  

The other assignment of WIPGO was 14 hours on Land That I Love (LTIL)  sampler from Teresa Kogut……Well LTIL has apparently been swept away into the tornado of my WIP basket.   Hopefully it will land in my hands before year’s end and I will be able to check off this August WIPGO assignment.

I somehow managed to squeak in the necessary pre-stitch for my September Guild Meeting.     The project is a simple stitch but the class will be on painting and finished the tray.   I am sure I can pick up some tricks!  Am I pretty sure I can fill in the sheep and add the letters before the weekend is over.  

I put in a day on stitching on Jeweled Baubles.  I found I could stitch on this in the car while my daughter drove.   That is until I began working on the half stitches.   It wasn’t the stitches as much as keeping track on the pattern that was the hard part.    The empty spaces are for beads which will be added last.   I’ve seen my friend Diane’s  completed version and it is stunning.   If only mine can be half as nice as her’s, I will be happy.   
 

Actually, now that I look at what I’ve listed, I did some a good amount of stitching accomplished in August even if I didn’t complete the WIPGO assignments.   Sometimes, what I call “Obligation Stitching” gets in the way.  For this month, it was some stitching gifts for an upcoming trip and stitching on the Round Robin I am working on that occupied my stitching time the most.  Once they were done, I could muddle through some of the other projects.

As for the Outer Banks - we did the beach of course.  The waves were fierce and two days there were red flag warnings - heavy undertow and rip currents.   It is hard to tell with no reference in the foreground but those waves were an easy 6 to 8 foot as they were rolling in.




We started the week with a visit to  Bodie Island Lighthouse and we took a dolphin boat ride - that wind in my face brought back my memories of boating and skiing on the open water.  Love the feeling of the wind.       

Each night I figured the little ones would be exhausted and fall asleep early,  No such luck.   My bedtime was just minutes after theirs.   

Bodie Island


We were unable to climb the lighthouse because we needed advance tickets to do so.



Walking the ‘boardwalk’ through the marshland provided beautiful views.


I don’t know why I always think pine trees only grow in the north.   This one is loaded with big fat pine ones


Beach days were great


My son and D-in-L took an early morning walk before the kiddoes were up and about.

Me, I decided coffee and cross stitch were my idea of a great start to the day.

We took the ferry to Ocracoke Island and spent the day driving golf carts around the island.      


Ocracoke Lighthouse

Beautiful weather and beautiful harbor views.   Reminds me of Camden. ME


Visited the museum and the house used by William Teach, AKA Blackbird

Section of the museum was dedicated to Blackbeard and his exploits

 
We all came home wanting to watch Netflix, Black Sails

The rest of the museum contained countless treasure of early life on Ocracoke Island


Of course, I can always find handwork

The crib was referred to as a ‘kiddie coop’.  The kiddie coop was screened to be able to put it on the porch and kept the infant safe from insects.  
The women’s shoes on the shelf are from Eugenia Wahab Hill, 1838-1926
The children’s shoes on the shelf are from Hettie Goldie Wahab, borne 1910, decreased 1915 from encephalitis
The crocheted dresses are from the 1950’s.

Yes, I took chances on the quilt raffle.


Typical mid 20th century island kitchen


William found Blackbeard and had it out with him

Our view as we approached the return ferry.  We were in line for the 7:30 ferry back to Hatteras but alas, when they send the small ferry, only 20 cars fit and we had to wait for the 9 pm ferry.    The hour ride back in the dark did not disappoint!   The stars in the sky were awesome.   It was a long day starting at 7:30 a.m. leave time and not getting back until 11 pm.   The kids were troopers.    

That turned to this.  Not a bad way to spend the evening.





Another beach day and then we were off to Manteo and Roanoke Island but not before Aunt Amy and Reagan were mermaids


Earlier this summer, I read The Lost Book of Eleanor Dare.   It is a fictional account of the descendants of Virginia Dare, the first English child born on America soil and a member of the lost colony of Roanoke Island.   Interesting to visit Roanoke Island after just reading the story.   

I still marvel that people were brave enough to cross the ocean in a ship this small.







Kids took turns swabbing the decks.    It is hard to imagine this tiny ship carrying 50+ crew managing to cross the Atlantic.   These were some tough, brave soles.


The interactive museum was fun.    Raegan as the Queen and Amy the Indian Princess.

More dress up time

Sunrise and Moonrise, both beautiful views from our deck


Funny aside…..I was less than 5 miles by Dying to Stitch on the way down and less than 2 miles from Salty Yarns on the way back.   You guessed it.  I stopped and shopped at both.    

Hopefully, September will bring more stitching time but I am not putting much hope out there.    I have a full travel calendar yet again.     So thanks for stopping by and reading through my adventures.    Keep on stitching.


6 comments:

  1. That looks like a wonderful time.
    Thanks for sharing all of the pics, I enjoyed them,
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you accomplished quite a bit of stitching during August. The trip to the beach sounded fabulous and the pictures were amazing, Robin. Happy September!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your summer looked so busy .
    Great photos , enjoy your September.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful vacation and it looks like the kids had fun!

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a wonderful vacation, you can see that the kids had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful Biscornu, you have beautiful projects. I have never done Wipgo because I never have many projects at the same time, at the moment I am only working on one motif.
    Beautiful pictures, thank you for showing them
    Martina

    ReplyDelete

Thanks is much for stopping by. I so enjoy your comments even if I do not always reply. Have a great day that hopefully includes a bit of stitching.